Setting up network to play LAN game(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been trying to setup my network to play the game Cossacks : European Wars using LAN.

I have 2 computers one running XP Pro, the other running 98 SE.

I have then connected to a 4 port d-link router.

I have tried everything to get it to work AGAIN. Since the first time i tried to play it worked right away no setup required. When i tried playing a few days later they just would not connect. Nothing was switched during that period of time, so I lost on what is wrong.

Anyone have any suggestions I could try to fix this problem?

Can all of the machines see each other in the network neighborhood?

Do they all have IPX/SPX installed, set to the same workgroup, etc?

Also.. can any two of the three machines connect to each other in the game?

Can you access the machines via \\machinename or \\ipaddress? (answer each question seperately)

PS- Welcome to Techspot!!!

I would check the firewall on that XP machine first. Did you turn it on? If so either poke a hole in your firewall at the appropriate port (this will be specific to the game) or turn it off to play the game.

Goalie:

I cant see either computer on network neighbourhood.
I dont think IPX/SPX is installed but both are set to the same workgroup.

I only have 2 computers on the network... XP and 98 and except for the very first time i tried to play I have not been able to connect both computers t the same game. When i played the first time XP machine was the host of the game.

I cant access by machine name or ip address (might just be doing it wrong , "//192.168.0.101" in adress bar of browser

Ip address

XP Pro ... 192.168.0.101
98 SE ... 192.168.0.100

LNCPapa:

I have not turned on my firewall on the XP machine (dont know where it is) Can you give me steps on how to turn it off or where i would go to enter in the ports to allow? I will look up what ports the games requires

Um...

YOu may have firewall enabled within your Anti Virus software. PC-Cillin always stops my connection. also you have Windows firwall in:

Network Connections\[your connection]\Properties\Advanced\

Sounds mad but DO install IPX/SPX as when i was working with a XP and 98 network I needed it for it to work.

If this fails.. try reinstalling all network connections by the wizard, all IP adresses should be set to Automatic. This can be found in:

Network Connections\[your connection]\Properties\TCP\Properties

If manual... make sure you have.

Seperate IP adresses (no conflicts).
TCP, IPX/SPX protocols.
Same Workgroups.

I have checked the windows firewall and the box was not checked, so it was disabled. I installed IPX/SPX protocols for both XP and 98. I also made sure the workgroup name was identical with both computers and both computers names were different, and they were. My IP addresses were already set to automatic. When these settings didnt work i tried to use the wizard but it also failed to work.

Try setting up a file share. First share a folder on each machine.

Then go to \\ip\foldername

See if that works.

If so, then do \\machinename\foldername

See if that works.

If so, test the game.

If not- where and when does problems occur

Do NOTE that it's \\ not //

When trying to share a folder on the XP machine i get the following error:

An error occured while trying to share FolderXP. The Server Service is not started. The shared resource was not created at this time.

I checked system services and found that server service was disabled... not sure why but i desides to enable and start the service when i tried to share again everything worked fine.

\\ip\foldername works from both computers

\\machinename\foldername also works on both.

Tested the game again and it shows the game that was created by host computer, but when you click join it freezes control for about 30 seconds then you gain control back but it has not connected... I have tried using both computers as the host but it works the same either way.

Just outta curiousity, have you updated either machine's game version?

Frequently, games will not work if both aren't the same version (IE one is 1.1 and the other is 1.2.3 or whatever)

I'll continue researching this. You may wish to try to patch both machines to the same version.

They are both using version 1.5, and are both bought games. There are many different versions of updates out there some for UK version, german, and US . Since the game is a few years old now, and 2 expansions have came out it's hard to find the correct patch.

I think 1.5 will work since they both are using that version, and i read somewhere it only needs the lastest patch if playing on the internet game, not for LAN or Direct play.

Thank you for all the help, I think we are getting closer to solving it.

Try this: Have one machine host, connect the other.

Then, have the other machine host, connect the first machine.

Any difference?

I think my problem is solved, I have tried it two separate times and both times it worked using the XP as host.

I was checking though the router settings and noticed DMCR for some port settings and it sounded familar so i searched my computer for a file containing it and it was from Cossacks. I then got the idea to duplicate all the ports entrys except change the address to the 98 machines IP address. Rebooted the router and created a game on the XP machine and it worked right away.

Here is the settings so what Im saying makes more sense :p

Firewall Rules List

Allow DMCR (192.168.0.101:2300) 12489 WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.101 TCP,2300-12489
Allow DMCR (192.168.0.101:2350) 58057 WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.101 UDP,2350-58057
Allow DMCR(192.168.0.101:2300)12488 WAN,* LAN,192.168.0.101 TCP,2300-12488

I have gotten a chance to test out hosting woith the 98 machine and connecting with XP... but it's probally better to host with the better machine isn't it?

Well thanks for all your time, and wouldn't have been able to do it without your help. I will be back to this site regularly, as it's the best tech help site I have been to. Well see you around on the boards...

Hey you did the work- we just threw out ideas.

The port forwarding/allow ideas do make sense. Both machines would need to be able to send and recieve data. :)

Glad you got it fixed, and see you around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back