Sharp's new Aquos R6 flagship phone packs a huge 1-inch camera sensor and Leica optics

Humza

Staff member
Bottom line: As mainstream manufacturers continue to stuff an increasing number of camera lenses on the back of our phones, Sharp has gone a slightly different route by combining a single lens with an enormous 20MP, 1-inch sensor on its new Aquos R6. Usually found on point-and-shoot or compact digital cameras, such a setup is quite rare in the smartphone space. Sharp hasn't skimped on the rest of the hardware either, speccing the Aquos R6 with 2021 flagship silicon, memory, and display tech.

Known for its TVs and other consumer electronics, Japanese brand Sharp first raised eyebrows in the smartphone industry with the launch of the Aquos Crystal. It wasn't a mainstream success nor a particularly impressive phone overall, but it had a futuristic bezel-less display in 2014. A design trend that wouldn't set in until years later, where extremely high screen-to-body ratios are now commonplace.

Sharp's latest device, the Aquos R6, now looks to shake things up in the camera department. The phone's protruding camera bump doesn't house multiple lenses, rather a single Leica-branded unit with a massive 20MP, 1-inch sensor with an f/1.9 aperture. There's also a ToF sensor built-in with support for laser low-light autofocus, alongside an LED flash.

Sharp also touts a world-first 'Pro IGZO OLED' display technology for the 6.6-inch panel on the Aquos R6. A resolution of 2,730 x 1,260 pixels isn't the sharpest out there, but there's variable refresh rate support (1Hz - 240Hz) for a power-efficient, buttery smooth experience and an impressive 2,000 nits of peak brightness.

Powering this phone is Snapdragon's 888 SoC, combined with 12GB RAM and 128GB of microSD-expandable storage. Another sizeable piece of tech inside is Qualcomm's 3D Sonic Max fingerprint reader - the biggest sensor yet - and a 5,000 mAh battery. Other specs include Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.2, USB-C connectivity, and IPX8 water resistance.

The Aquos R6 runs Android 11 out of the box and is expected to go on sale in Japan next month through carriers NTT Docomo and SoftBank. Sharp hasn't announced its price nor revealed plans for global availability.

Permalink to story.

Believe it or not this is a trend that I would support: We're taking some phone back real estate with multiple sensors which is a good thing but physically bigger ones should be prioritized. Now I know the reason small sized lenses are used are to keep the phones thin otherwise 3 inch lenses would require enough depth for the lenses that it'd make the phone super chunky.

But to that I reply with 2 things:

1) Phones are too thin as it is: we need to bring back the thicc

2) I think some sort of expanding tele lens mode could get around some of the depth space constrains.

Not that I think this trend would gain any traction unless Samsung or Apple decide to implement it themselves but well, there's only so many ways you can improve the camera and lenses each and every year for new phones so maybe, eventually, we'll see coin sized lenses in the back for cameras.

Wow, if this comes to the US, I found myself a new phone. Looking to get away from Apple after all their bullshit in court.

Believe it or not this is a trend that I would support: We're taking some phone back real estate with multiple sensors which is a good thing but physically bigger ones should be prioritized. Now I know the reason small sized lenses are used are to keep the phones thin otherwise 3 inch lenses would require enough depth for the lenses that it'd make the phone super chunky.

But to that I reply with 2 things:

1) Phones are too thin as it is: we need to bring back the thicc

2) I think some sort of expanding tele lens mode could get around some of the depth space constrains.

Not that I think this trend would gain any traction unless Samsung or Apple decide to implement it themselves but well, there's only so many ways you can improve the camera and lenses each and every year for new phones so maybe, eventually, we'll see coin sized lenses in the back for cameras.

On part #2, I don’t see why they aren’t doing this. Phone cases add quite a bit of space between the lens and the exterior. Why not put some kind of telescopic lens and go with a slightly thicker case.

Remember "back in the day" the Samsung Galaxy S4 zoom?
16MP 10x OPTICAL zoom.
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4_zoom-5447.php

Yeah, that lens sticking out today, the "slim, sexy, colorful & stylish" crowd wouldn't like it,
but, that was the way to do a zoom lens. it only had a 1/2.33 sensor, but if they would
go ahead and do a 1" sensor, with a 16MP and good 10x optical lens, with a 6-6.5" screen,
5,000mAH battery, I'd be standing in line waiting for it.
I'll take that, over the goofy 3,4,5 sensor garbage of today.

Cameras on phones already don't allow enough light in with their small apertures. Imagine this lens with Google's camera software. With Gcam, we just find out soon.

Back