Shock-resistant Samsung Galaxy S5 Active now available through AT&T

Shawn Knight

Staff member

samsung smartphone att rugged galaxy s5 active shock resistant

Water-resistance was a welcomed addition on Samsung’s new Galaxy S5 smartphone but for the most active among us, they could have taken it a step further. Fortunately, AT&T is now offering a more rugged version of the flagship for that demographic aptly named the Galaxy S5 Active.

Internally, the phone is virtually identical to the original with a 5.1-inch Super AMOLED display, quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 SoC operating at 2.5GHz, 2GB of RAM, a 16-megapixel camera and so on.

In addition to the IP67 water- and dustproof rating, the Active meets US Mil-STD 810G for shock, temperature, humidity, rain and altitude.

As you’d expect with the addition of shock protection, the chassis is a bit beefier. There’s also a new button on the side of the phone, something Samsung calls the convenience key. This button is used to give you quick access to the handset’s apps relating to outdoor activity.

There are some sacrifices that had to be made, however. Most notably, the built-in fingerprint sensor has been eliminated. That may not be too big of a hit considering how stubborn it is to operate. In our recent review, we found the feature to be both frustrating and cumbersome.

The Galaxy S5 Active is available in camo green, titanium gray and ruby red as of writing through AT&T. Pricing is set at $199 with a standard two-year service agreement or $714.99 sans contract. The phone is also eligible for AT&T’s Next installment plan over the course of 12 or 18 months. If you go that route, expect to pay an additional $35.75 each month with the 12-month plan or $27.50 every billing cycle if stretched over 18 months.

Permalink to story.

I bought the S4 Active and honestly I do not like the fact that there is hardly any support for it. Especially when you are trying to ROOT it or flash some custom ROM on it. This is something that I will not get and stick with the regular S5 as it will have more support for enthusiasts.

The phone may be a bit more shock resistant than stock but unfortunately the buyers won't be when they see the cash price.

Looks like a nice improvement to the S4 active.

Isn't it like any other phone though? $200 on contract and $700 off.
I dunno. Your contracts seem to work differently to ours. I find ours are a rip-off, it's always cheaper to buy a device cash if you're not interested in having the latest & greatest. A Samsung Galaxy S4 can now be purchased outright for about $300 - $350 now that the S5 has been released which retails for ~$800+

I dunno. Your contracts seem to work differently to ours. I find ours are a rip-off, it's always cheaper to buy a device cash if you're not interested in having the latest & greatest. A Samsung Galaxy S4 can now be purchased outright for about $300 - $350 now that the S5 has been released which retails for ~$800+
That is interesting. I just looked at Amazon and they are selling an unlocked S4 for $430. I didnt think it was that low. S5 is going for $600 unlocked. You are right in that $700 is quite pricey, but that is probably because it just released. I bet the S5 was $700 when it was first released off contract.

Back