Should I buy an Alienware PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boxy Brown

Ok, I would really like to buy an Alienware Area-51 7500 but I have been reading reviews saying that their customer service is horrible and that it is really hard to get a problem solved with them. On the other hand I read a review of an Alienware system on this website and it said that Alienware's customer service is some of the best they have ever seen.

I would just like people who have experience with Alienware to give me some advice. Thank you.

customer service is different for everyone. it may be good for you it may be bad. from everything ive read on an alienware pc they dont have problems often.
yes get an alienware pc. they are awesome. if u have the money buy it and have fun gaming!

I didnt want to start a new thread to ask a question that is slightly similar so i just kind of tagged it on here..

does anything think the 3500 is an ok alienware gaming system??

I know it has Intel processors but the speed on them seems to be ok and i thought that with the 256mb GPU it could possibly run games such as WoW, CS:S, BF2 and Oblivion at at least medium settings at at least 35FPS..

I've been reading stuff here (techspot forums) for a few months now and think i am slowly grasping at least some of this stuff.

Any help is appreciated and if i need to gtfo this forum and try elsewhere i understand completly

the only real knock against this machine is it's price; at just under $5,000, you're paying a lot for the snazzy case and Alienware support network

Are you nuts for that price I would build my own, screw the custom case. The series seems to range from a single 6800GT to SLI 7900GTX, which level are buying?

If you know enough about gaming rigs to be spec this macheen, why not just spec out your own rig and build it yourself? It took me a few days to read the reviews of SLI mobos, AMD 64 vs. P4, P4D..etc.. what level of graphics card I could afford. Then a little about DDR ram, now you have the choice of DDR2 for system ram (recommend DDR2).
Place your order on-line, (throw in a cool looking case, Zalman CPU HSF, OZC PSU) and in a few days your stuff arrives.
In a few hours on a Saturday morning it was all installed including Windows and by noon I was loading HL2 and gaming.
It was a great experience, you learn so much about the latest hardware and you learn how to build your own. The mobo instructions are easy to follow. The whole thing is just a great way to get to know PCs.

Food for thought.
Peace.

Alternatives

I know what you mean. Alienware does seem to be a little on the pricey side.
If you want a high end custom made gaming comp, cool case and all, for relatively less cash, go to www.ibuypower.com . You can configure a custom rig with either AMD or Intel chips. Most other sites dont have both.
For a little more expensive, Falcon Northwest is the best. Beats out alienware hands down I think. Their custom case painting is higher cuality than you'll find on most high end sports cars. And they'll custom paint/laser cut the case to your specs. www.falcon-nw.com

whats a good online guide to building your own pc? or is it pretty easy to follow? i know pretty much what everything is etc. just the putting together is the part i dont know.

My gaming rig is the 2nd pc I put together. Even the first time was pretty easy. The mobo manual gives you all the instructions you need. Have a look a some MSI or ASUS or DFI Lanparty mobo manuals (dwnload from manufacturer's website) and you'll see what I mean.

The most tricky part is installing the HSF for the CPU. Next would be connecting the front audio jacks and other connections on the mobo. I guess I'm thinking most ppl have installed a new HDD or RAM or video by now in their PC, so the general idea of working inside a pc is not completely foreign. Building your own is just doing all this at once. It's just a matter of taking your time and doing one thing at a time.

Cheers.

Boxy Brown

Should I buy an Alienware PC?
Ok, I would really like to buy an Alienware Area-51 7500 but I have been reading reviews saying that their customer service is horrible and that it is really hard to get a problem solved with them. On the other hand I read a review of an Alienware system on this website and it said that Alienware's customer service is some of the best they have ever seen.

I would just like people who have experience with Alienware to give me some advice. Thank you.

Ok i think im the only one here with experience with a alienware.
1) there customer service sucks the big one.
2) there computer do not run.
3) I made the biggest mistake of buying one.
4) I will strongly advise you not to buy one.

i have a alienware ALX and well it hasnt run for a full month yet and iv had it for about 4 months now...and trust me there tech staff will not help you with anything, they barly speak english.

well it will turn on but it has a mother board problem but they say its my graphics cards which they have replaced but it still dosnt work and they will NOT do anything about it at the moment being

and if you do still end up buying a alienware be prepared to get a new psu unless you like to listen to a jet engine

Boxy Brown said:

I have an Alienware Aurora m9700. I dont know about the states but Alienware Europe has the best customer service i have ever used, i was on the phone to technical support about my wireless card and the phone cut off, they rang me back immediately, they also called me back a day later to ensure everything was still okay. Turned out i had a problem with the wireless acess point and wasn't the laptops fault. The machine is amazing and has a great design. Alienware's biggest critisism is the price, and i agree they are more expensive than most, but the customer service and peace of mind are worth it in my opinion.

#Curtis
I have an Alienware Aurora m9700. I dont know about the states but Alienware Europe has the best customer service i have ever used, i was on the phone to technical support about my wireless card and the phone cut off, they rang me back immediately, they also called me back a day later to ensure everything was still okay. Turned out i had a problem with the wireless acess point and wasn't the laptops fault. The machine is amazing and has a great design. Alienware's biggest critisism is the price, and i agree they are more expensive than most, but the customer service and peace of mind are worth it in my opinion.
well the states suck no one cares here

Don't get an Alienware PC if you're not gonna game on it the rest of your life. For that much money you can get a Ps3, Nintendo and Xbox 360. Whats the point if you buy an alienware if you can get a game system that is specially built for games. Not that Alienware is built for games, but c'mon really. Think about all that money you're gonna spend on a PC.

If i were you, I wouldn't get it. Upgrade your PC for $700 andit will be just as good as an Alienware.

i almost got fooled because of the pretty alien/superman case around it. I'm advising you not to get it for so much money. But it's your life. Do whatever you want with it.

I don't know about customer service though

yes dell did buy alienware, I sugest to avoid dell and alienware very strongly Alienware WAS good its prob. all down hill now since dell s the parent company the tech support is prob. in India already or atleast on its way there

They barely speak English? Ha I knew it since dell owns them duh they most likey in India, I give up pretty much with my problems with dell and since dell owns alienware the comptuer might be ok but if you need any tech support have fun.

Just don't buy an Alienware PC man. Just count all the posts that have been saying 'The customer service sucks", "My PC won't run", "Something's wrong with the motherboard"...etc, etc...

I'm sure there are other PC's out there that are much better and cheaper.

Ps. My friend's Alienware broke down the first few hours he played it.

kirock said:
Are you nuts for that price I would build my own, screw the custom case. The series seems to range from a single 6800GT to SLI 7900GTX, which level are buying?

If you know enough about gaming rigs to be spec this macheen, why not just spec out your own rig and build it yourself? It took me a few days to read the reviews of SLI mobos, AMD 64 vs. P4, P4D..etc.. what level of graphics card I could afford. Then a little about DDR ram, now you have the choice of DDR2 for system ram (recommend DDR2).
Place your order on-line, (throw in a cool looking case, Zalman CPU HSF, OZC PSU) and in a few days your stuff arrives.
In a few hours on a Saturday morning it was all installed including Windows and by noon I was loading HL2 and gaming.
It was a great experience, you learn so much about the latest hardware and you learn how to build your own. The mobo instructions are easy to follow. The whole thing is just a great way to get to know PCs.

Food for thought.
Peace.

I completely agree. Alienware is very overrated. You can save hundreds, if not thousands of dollars building.

Alienwares are good for gaming like WoW, BF2, and maybe oblivion if you have the graphic setting right. What I heard is that alienware isnt all that worth that money that it cost because I heard that it seems to crash sometimes and the only reason I think it's good is that I dont get still-frames on games because I like to do recordings of WoW ( with FRAPs ) and I dont like it when im killing people with my mage and out of no where I get still framed and BAM im dead

The European Alienware CS is based in Ireland, where the European offices are, the customer support is better than anything I have used before. I haven't experianced any problems with my machine so far. I agree they are on the pricey side which I guess is my only regret, at the end of the day it is your choice. Alienware gets a lot of bashing, check out alienwareniche.com, they are all Alienware owners, they can tell you about their experiances not just "my friend...".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back