Should I get a new monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Investors

My 17 inch monitor went south. Should I spend money to repair it or just get another one? It is a 5 year old Gatway EV 700 monitor. Which is more economical? If throwing away and getting a new one, do I need to trash it at certain locations?

What you mean, you mean it is broken? if monitor broken, it is gone. my advice buy new lcd screen not sure size about 18inch lcd cost u a arm and a leg <<More than $250>> at least it provide a very crisp graphic, cooler <not hotter> as you can feel on your back of old monitor, is it very warm, eh? when u buy lcd, it is only little warm. ENERGY STAR! try this maybe it will try help you

www.dell.com
www.futureshop.com

or your local computer store, radioshacks.

to throw away ur dead monitor, ask your local dump if they have project that to recycle computer parts or recycle monitor. Mine is in Bolton, Ontario, Canada. have very friendly, handle very well with biohazardous wastes, electronics wastes. Try it on your locals.

No dont buy an LCD. If the responce time is too high [most are unless you get a super nice Xpensive one] it will look super bad/blurry/ghosted in games. Plus LCDs are still a bit much, and will fall in price soon to come. Get a 19" CRT [should cost you about $100] and hold onto it until LCDs are good to go :)

Originally posted by Investors
My 17 inch monitor went south. Should I spend money to repair it or just get another one? It is a 5 year old Gatway EV 700 monitor. Which is more economical? If throwing away and getting a new one, do I need to trash it at certain locations?
I would recommend you toss it, unless you know how, or know someone who knows how to fix it, then its not worth it. It might not be worth it even then, depending on the problem. As cheap as 17-19" monitors currently are, its just too much hassle and expense to try and fix. Sad for technicians like myself...

I would recommend you look in the classifieds and see if anyone is looking for old or broken electronics. Many people use old dead hardware for various reasons, some recycle components, some just like to tinker and others, well, I don't know if I want to know what they do with it but...
Shouldn't be too difficult to find it a home other than the local landfill

Originally posted by ---agissi---
No dont buy an LCD. If the responce time is too high [most are unless you get a super nice Xpensive one] it will look super bad/blurry/ghosted in games. Plus LCDs are still a bit much, and will fall in price soon to come. Get a 19" CRT [should cost you about $100] and hold onto it until LCDs are good to go :)

oops, thank ---agissi--- i am just rookie around here. Hey invensor <forgive my spelling mistake> forgiving for give you wrong information about monitor, yea i agreed with ---agissi---. go buy crt tube.

If you are a gamer...a performance monitor is the way to go. However - remember that a few manufacturers make MANY of the tubes and screens in most "branded" monitors - meaning Sony, Viewsonic and some of the others all buy tubes and screens from the same place. You can find some nice flat screens online (newegg.com) at some pretty decent prices, as long as you aren't looking for a 25 inch monitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back