Should I go with Vista 32 bit or 64 bit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a e-machine whit a procesor intel pentium dual core 2.80 ghz 64 bits

what windows is the best for my cpu win 32 bits or win 64 bits

well the post of rogue12 extols the virtues of Windows 64-bit edition, not of 64-bit processors per se.

My opinion is 64-bit processors do not gain or lose anything important under any version of windows, but I stick my neck out and say 64-bit windows is a dead end. For one thing, there is not much support in the wider sense - drivers particularly, nor will there be, possibly for years.

gbhall said:
I stick my neck out and say 64-bit windows is a dead end. For one thing, there is not much support in the wider sense - drivers particularly, nor will there be, possibly for years.
I'd say it's the other way around. In Vista's case, for "Certified for Vista" it (software or hardware) needs to be compatible with both 32- and 64-bit versions.

There aren't many new CPUs that don't have 64-bit support - AMD doesn't make 32-bit only CPUs anymore (unless you count obscure embedded ones), Intel has only low-end Celerons without it.

If a device or an application doesn't work in 64-bit Vista (or XP), ask the manufacturer to support it. Otherwise they will never work as they think there's no demand.

I agree with Mictlantecuhtli. 32bit almost has to die based purely on the increase in average amount of RAM installed on a system through the years. You should come back to your post in 2-3 years and see how many people build a new system (or buy) and put a 32bit OS on it compared to 64. On top of that you do see a performance increase if you run everything at 64bit, see the Crysis Review for preliminary results.

As for drivers, I really don't believe that is the case anymore. I think it is just an old argument that has stuck around. There are 64bit drivers for video cards, sound, NICs, pretty much everything that can be suffed on a motherboard. Perpherials might not all have drivers but if they were made within the last 2-3 years and are from a major company they probably do. I think not having a 64bit driver is far less common than having one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back