Silicon heat transfer compound necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanky

Hi. I'm building my first computer and the instructions say to apply some silicon heat transfer compound before installing the cooler onto the cpu. I don't think any came with the kit. Is it necessary? If so, can I run it for a while and take it apart later and apply it?

NO

You MUST put it on. You will fry your cpu otherwise. Go to radioshack any buy some artic silver.

If this is a new cpu and heatsink, the heatsink may already have thermal past/pad attached. If that`s the case, all you need to do is attach the heatsink.

If no thermal paste/pad is already applied, then as twite quite rightly states, you will need to buy some thermal paste.

Instructions for applying thermal paste can be found HERE.

Under no circumstances, should you attach the heatsink without any themal compound.

Regards Howard :)

Yes - thats heat transfer gunge as described by Howard. You don't need any more - best not to touch it before assembly.

It would still be best to put aftermarket thermal grease on it. The "stock" grease tends to not be very good.

I agree twite - but in truth it is OK for the first time. Take it off for any reason and you should use aftermarket gunge when you put it back.

I have upgraded 2 pc's in my time that had no grease whatsoever. However the bottom of the heatsink was very well polished and smooth.
They were AMD Athlons and one was overclocked with NO huge increase in temperature.
Just thought i'd throw that gem in.....but i do agree, grease is better kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back