Sims 2/Laptop help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I'm Caitlin and I live in Australia.

I want to get a laptop for Christmas that is compatiable for Sims 2 and it's expansion packs to run smoothly. I have a budget, but any reccomendations will do thanks!
But the other week I went around to retailers with my system requirements written down on a piece of paper, and checked out a few notebooks. I found this ASUS, that was the cheapest, but still had all the requirments I need. But I went on the Sims 2 website, and some people there suggested that I still find one with more RAM and better graphics.

The ASUS laptop contains:
-Dual Core 1.6
-512mb RAM
-80gb hard drive
-256mb graphics (go 7300)
-DVD D/L burner
-Wirless bluetooth
-Webcam
-15:4" screen
-Windows XP

Now, I'll be using Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Buisness, Pets.. and one of the holiday expansion packs.

I've lurked this site for a while, and I now know you're all good with the recommendations and help, so I'd appreciate it if I can have a bit of help to find a laptop that will be compatiable for the games to run smoothly and all.

Much appreciated, thanks!

asus is a good laptop brand.. i want one.. ><

Graphics are pretty good for a laptop (anything better than integrated or intel) and should get you by, and ram you can always add more to bump it to a gig. Its just the rest of the specs that will get you stuck for life, so choose carefully..

Which model were you looking at in particular?

How much are you willing to spend on the gear and where are you located/gonna get it at?

Now, the assistant at Radio Rentals didn't say anything about what model it is. He just jotted down ASUS, and the other information I typed above.
I'll go check though. When I went there yesterday, they only had an ASUS which was $2599 on display.. I might even check that one out. So I couldn't check the model I was told about because it was out the back.

If I go see it, I'll get a quote on that one too.

I was set with a limit, nothing over 2000. But because Sims is such a demanding game for computers, dad said that he'll get whatever laptop is best and rent it for a few weeks until he gets his bonus and pays it off.

Thanks for your help!

sim's isn't that demanding.. its just some people don't understand that mainly some integrated graphics adapters (among other hardware) don't work nice with it, without a few tweaks if it could.

when i helped my sis buy her laptop in the pre-2000 era (windows ME.. yeh that long ago) i was smart enough to tell her to get one with a proper graphics adapter (ATI RAGE Mobility). Now that laptop, although nearing obsolete, still has some use and still play some games (original Sims, Counterstrike 1.5, Red alert, other oldskool titles etc) and videos fine, should last until sometime next year if it decides to croak.

Moral of the story: as long as you choose the right combo of hardware for a laptop it should last you years.

If you plan to play games, look for dedicated graphics like the nVidia and ATI (or intel extreme ones), then specs like CPU/mobo specs are then the optical drive (dvd DL burner of course). Those are the main parts that you will be stuck with for the rest of the laptop's life. The HDD, RAM and anything else are upgradeable and adaptable in the long run.

If you want to go under 2000, i think there's a new batch of asus laptops comming out soon for 1400 to 2100, core 2 duo, windows XP MCE (+vista upgrade guarantee to Vista Home Premium).. a bit fuzzy on the specs since they haven't released it at the shop i work at..

HP i reckon should be your second option if you wish.. there are some decent builds there.

Okay, checked out the other ASUS, CPASR0012, or it could be OO.

I think this is the one I'll get. It has;
-1gb RAM
-14.1' screen
-100gb harddrive
-DVD burner
-Windows XP Pro
-ATI X1700 graphics card

It's on hold for me, and it's $2,199, which I think is great!

What do you think of it? Will it be compatiable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back