SiS 645DX Best Chipset for the P4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was a P4 user I would put my money into the 850 chipset. I think Rambus is still the best way to go as far as P4 memory and bandwith is concerned.

I don't see why people are so impressed by rambus when it comes to memory bandwidth. The I850 only provides 3.2 GBS of bandwidth because of its dual bus memory interface.

Imagine a P4 version of the nFORCE. I'm sure it would be much better. Two DDRam busses delivering 4.2 GBS of data, & think of the lower latencies too...:)

If it could support PC2700, it would then be 5.4 GBS of data.

I did some homework on the 645 chipset and I have to say that Im impressed. It seems to be the best solution right now for DDR based P4 mobo's.

I guess there is a certain mystique with the Rambus memory mainly because of its initial price and capabilities. DDR seems to be the way of the future with Intel dropping Rambus.

I'd be willing to give it a shot. It would probably be a noticable improvement over my current system.

Originally posted by svtcobra
I did some homework on the 645 chipset and I have to say that Im impressed. It seems to be the best solution right now for DDR based P4 mobo's.

I guess there is a certain mystique with the Rambus memory mainly because of its initial price and capabilities. DDR seems to be the way of the future with Intel dropping Rambus.

I'd be willing to give it a shot. It would probably be a noticable improvement over my current system.

I agree with svtcobra, i recently came across an article about this chipset. A few websites believed that this SiS chipset is almost on par with Intel's i850 Chipset RDRAM in terms of performance through benchmarks and survey.

Originally posted by svtcobra
If I was a P4 user I would put my money into the 850 chipset. I think Rambus is still the best way to go as far as P4 memory and bandwith is concerned.
Intel is leaving RAMBUS, they'll use DDR RAM in the future. I vaguely remember reading about this from 3DS homepage but now I didn't found it. However, I found Wired's article.
Edit: Oops, I noticed your second comment.

the SIS645dx has some great features, however there still are some problems showing up (with all the SIS chipsets) nothing that can't be fixed by BIOS upgrades.
But that's is always the question for any manufacter, will/can they provide prompt updates and support. All too often they moveon to the next chipset leave early product purchasers waiting/hopeing for updates.

I think RAMBUS is a dead end, Not because it's not a great technology (or would be if faster development continued) But because the poor management of the business. With Intel dropping them (at least for consumer products) support and eventually the supply will dry up,. Even if it doesn't, are you willing to invest in Rdram knowing that you won't be able to move it to a future system?

I myself didn't know that RDram is dying, so I bought. It died. Bummer. So leaves my Intel 850, RDram 256mb... waiting to rot... and soon, RDram will grow more and more expensive, and then, RDram will disappear from the market... boo hoo...

I don't see why people are so impressed by rambus when it comes to memory bandwidth. The I850 only provides 3.2 GBS of bandwidth because of its dual bus memory interface.

ok..that's not too impressive...but if you consider that the technology is over a year and a half old, rdram was out before the p4 came out, and is still at the top, ddr that is a year and a half old doesn't come close to it, only the new ddr is starting to get up there.

imagine being a company that has to wait for the competition to catch up so you can lower prices, go figure eh...

oh yea...rdram will soon allow single channel(kinda), it's dual channel on one stick instead of 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back