SIW

Hi.... was downloading SIW (System Information Tool) and noticed that it includes Candy software. There is no option to decline the installation of Candy software so I cancelled the whole installation of SIW. I don't think that it's fair nor is it a responsible policy on your part to sponsor software that hides this kind of practice. They hide the Candy software in the AULA info. Please verify this kind of practice and at the least lets us know of it.

Thank you for bringing this up. As you can understand we recommended SIW in July 2009 (four years ago!) and we couldn't possibly know the minute they started adding third party software to their installer -- or worse, imposing it as you describe. However, with your feedback we will look into it immediately and make it known this is going on.

Thank you for bringing this up. As you can understand we recommended SIW in July 2009 (four years ago!) and we couldn't possibly know the minute they started adding third party software to their installer -- or worse, imposing it as you describe. However, with your feedback we will look into it immediately and make it known this is going on.
That's not the half of it. The .exe portable version of SIW has been discontinued. The new freeware offering has to be installed, you can't just copy the file to the desk top.

I have probably one of the very last executable file versions, and I have no intention of downloading the later "install me" type.

And yeah, I think I saw "open candy" being mentioned at Mr. Topola's site. (That's a maybe. Old brain cells play tricks sometimes).:confused:

Speaking of old brain cells, a very belated "happy Birthday" Julio.....!

Please verify this kind of practice and at the least lets us know of it.
It wasn't like that when SIW was first put up here...!

God I love bold text, don't you?

Try AIDA64, superior tool and none of that.

I believe the, "Open Candy" issue only attaches to the freeware edition of SIW.

Any debate on efficacy notwithstanding, I simply don't think there's a free version of AID64 available.

There's a free version of AIDS available I'm sure, at an inner city convenient to mostly everyone.....(Ba dum, dump).

I believe the, "Open Candy" issue only attaches to the freeware edition of SIW.

Any debate on efficacy notwithstanding, I simply don't think there's a free version of AID64 available.

There's a free version of AIDS available I'm sure, at an inner city convenient to mostly everyone.....(Ba dum, dump).

Why yes ther is...or so I have heard. I put that up there because when I visited said SIW site, It said that the 'free' version had been discontinued if I read it correctly.
...but the I am breaking in a friends senility. :)

Why yes ther is...or so I have heard. I put that up there because when I visited said SIW site, It said that the 'free' version had been discontinued if I read it correctly.
...but the I am breaking in a friends senility. :)
So it would seem...:( You can't imagine the serenity and bliss of allowing one's aging mind to wander aimlessly down the pathways of the distant past.

Or to put it another way,,,,(wait for it).........., "modern life sucks, and then the freeware dries up...."! :D

(And we went with a little bold text for emphasis........:p Just to fix it in my mind, as it were )

EDIT: Christ, the "technician's Version" is what used to be the free version. I didn't go to the site this time. My reportage was based on a visit a while back, which was apparently an interim situation.

UPDATE: I used the broadband speed checker in SIW last night. (I do this from time to time to see if Verizon is being naughty or nice with respect to download speed).

My freeware version of DIW now sports the notice, "The freeware version of SIW has been discontinued" (Yes in red).

However, the speed test still works, as does the rest of the program. Is this a grace period? Will the program die next time I try it ? ......stay tuned..:eek:

I only tried to update this program, (a while ago), because the sensor readings seemed bogus on my Ivy Bridge rig.

I know I am late to the party but I appreciate this information. SIW was such a nice little tool but I can no longer recommend it.

Back