Six-strike anti-piracy warning system delayed until 2013

Jos

Staff

The "six-strike" warning system that aims to curb illegal downloads in the U.S. has been postponed until early 2013.  Previously scheduled to go live this week, the Center for Copyright Information has now announced that ISPs are not ready to send warnings just yet, blaming Hurricane Sandy for the delay.

It’s not clear exactly how this has affected the launch, which has already been pushed back on a couple of occasions before, but it reportedly affected the testing schedule. TorrentFreak believes the main problem is to get all actors, including the ISPs and the American Arbitration Association, lined up to move at once.

Under the plan, content owners will notify ISPs whenever their customers are suspected trading copyrighted files online. From there it’s up to the service providers to get in touch with those users through an escalating system of warnings that ultimately results in "mitigation measures" for repeat offenders. AT&T, Cablevision, Verizon, Time Warner Cable, and Comcast are all on board “on a voluntary basis.”

Three of them have revealed what mitigation measures they will take after the fourth warning. According to previous reports, AT&T will block users’ access to “some of the most frequently visited websites” on the Internet, until they complete a copyright course. Verizon will slow down the connection speeds of users for 2 or 3 days, while Time Warner Cable will restrict their ability to browse by redirecting them to a landing page.

The measures are not as severe as previous attempts to counter piracy, both in the U.S. and elsewhere. The stated goal is to provide enough "education" so that the punishment never arrives, but the "mitigation measures" are nonetheless the result of private, unverified accusations not verified by a judge.

Commenting on the dealy, CCI’s Executive Director Jill Lesser said:

Our goal has always been to implement the program in a manner that educates consumers about copyright and peer-to-peer networks, encourages the use of legal alternatives, safeguards customer privacy, and provides an easy-to-use independent review program for consumers to challenge alerts they believe they’ve received in error.

We need to be sure that all of our "I"s are dotted and "T"s crossed before any company begins sending alerts, and we know that those who are following our progress will agree.

Permalink to story.

Strikes need to be increased to infinity and all warnings should come with a complementary $5 iTunes gift card, the use of which reduces the number of strikes on record by 1 per card, encouraging the legal acquisition of copyrighted materials.

"Well, that's just stupid," you say? Perhaps. But I guarantee it would do more to reduce piracy than a strike policy.

Im sure they have a way to see which of their customers are using VPN. It even states that they will block you from "certain" websites in the article. No company or business would invest as much as the ISP have to impliment this system if they didnt have a way to track their customers. Heres where it gets into a grey area. If the ISP imbed into the start up program some form of spyware to point out those ppl who are attempting to circumvent the ISP tracking, wouldnt that in general invade a individuals right of privacy? Its a applaudable effort they are attempting, but it smacks way too much of a buttload of Constitutional violation. Best bet would to be to stop pirating now, and just keep off their radar.

Im sure they have a way to see which of their customers are using VPN. It even states that they will block you from "certain" websites in the article. No company or business would invest as much as the ISP have to impliment this system if they didnt have a way to track their customers. Heres where it gets into a grey area. If the ISP imbed into the start up program some form of spyware to point out those ppl who are attempting to circumvent the ISP tracking, wouldnt that in general invade a individuals right of privacy? Its a applaudable effort they are attempting, but it smacks way too much of a buttload of Constitutional violation. Best bet would to be to stop pirating now, and just keep off their radar.

I don't think you understand very much about any of the things you just wrote down. It doesn't work like that.

Strikes need to be increased to infinity and all warnings should come with a complementary $5 iTunes gift card, the use of which reduces the number of strikes on record by 1 per card, encouraging the legal acquisition of copyrighted materials.

"Well, that's just stupid," you say? Perhaps. But I guarantee it would do more to reduce piracy than a strike policy.

You're using some really goofy logic, but there are no holes in your argument sir.

@see
Well then, since ive posted a question. Give the answer. How does it work then. Am I to assume you work for a ISP or are working on the project yourself? Why not educate us all on how it works so we can all be informed.

Honestly though... that's exactly the sort of the thing the govt would pass (execpt the $5 gift card part). Think about it... strikes at infinity and they get reduced for each infraction. This is win-win for a politician. They can spout off about being tough on piracy and flaunt that they passed an anti-piracy bill, but they don't have to worry about anyone being angry about it since no one ever gets prosecuted. This exact same double standard exists in the No Child left Behind law and the MPG regulations on car makers.

I wouldn't recommend HideMyAss, they released the details of a lulzsec member to authorities without any hesitation.

I use the Provider Mullvad for my home network (site-to-site VPN) from Australia, also recommend Private Internet Access (Both support BitCoin). I don't torrent through VPNs mind-you (I think its rude for the people just wanting to browse the web )

Seed-boxes are the best way for ones torrenting needs. Plus no one should use Public trackers anyway.

Back