Slave hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippy2

Hi all,

Can anyone please help?

I have an 80GB slave hard drive in my Windows 2000 system were all files are visible.

I remove that hard drive and slave it onto a Windows Pro system.

Can anyone tell me why it is that the drive is identified but cannot be read?Message reads this drive needs formatting. The files are important so this cannot be done.

Thanks,

Chippy2

Are your jumpers properly set so that your main drive is Master or Cable Select on the first plug, and your slave drive is Slave or cable select on the second plug?
Are you using Windows 2000 Service Pack 4?
Your "Windows Pro system" is what? Windows XP Professional, or Windows 2000 Professional?

The slave drive came off a Win 2000 Pro system which became corrupted so I don't know which service pack it was on.

I have rebuilt the system with a copy of Win 2000 Pro without a service pack (5.00 2195). The system recognises the drive but cannot read the contents. If I install service pack 4 will the system read the drive??

The jumpers are set correctly as both master & slave drives are visible in Windows 2000 & XP professional. Again XP Pro recognises the slave drive but cannot read it. The message invites a format which cannot be done.

Hope this helps,

Thanks

Chippy2

You need at least Service Pack 2, but I suspect the previous "curruption" was a failed drive.

Thanks,

I would be surprised if the slave drive has been corrupted as well as the master. Anyway the drive is not readable so I have to pass it over to a data recovery company.

Thanks for your time.

Chippy2

Unless the drive is making bad noises I wouldn't be so quick to ship it off somewhere for data recovery. Try out some software methods first, paying a company to get your data back is insanely expensive.

It might be worth your while to obtain a USB external enclosure, then see if you can access the drive which has Data from another computer. I assume you will be able to access the drive and rescue all your valuable data with this method as it works well.
Then you will have a bit more freedom as to what you can do with your hardware on the difficult setup.

Windows Won't Let You Do That.....?

A HDD originally formatted by Windows XP Pro will not provide readable data when attached to a system running XP Home. It yields that exact same results that you describe, and consequently, (if you insist on using the drive), you must reformat. At least that's what my system told me the last time I tried. This going from Media Center 2005, (which is basically a sort of crippled XP Pro) to XP Home. However, you can swap drives from XP home to XP Home with almost no effort. Ya just plug 'em in!

I don't know what the "rules" are about the switch you're trying to make, but it could be pretty much the same issue. Best advice is to reinstall the drive back into Win 2000, offload your data, then humor XP and reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back