Slow Computer..

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfantryOnline

How could I get my computer to run a little faster.. I only have 128MB of RAM, I went to the store and bought a 512MB and it wouldn't fit into my slots because the bottom of the card wouldn't fit into the slot because there was only 1 of these hump thing and I have to have 2.
anyway, I have done a virus scan, ran Ad-aware, Disk Defrag, Disk Clean Up, Used CCleaner..
I was wondering if I were to delete files would it really help my computer run better or would it just add space..

My comps specs:
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.40GHz
1.40GHz
128 MB of RAM
Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002
Service Pack 2

the 1 hump vs 2 humps is the difference between DDR and SDR memory. They are keyed so you don't put the wrong memory in the slot because they are not compatible. I believe you have a SDR memory motherboard and you bought DDR memory. It would be best if you took your memory to the store and had them match it with the biggest they have in that style. 128MB of RAM is going to cause your computer to use the disk pagefile (scratchpad area) a lot because it doesn't have enough RAM to do everything it wants in memory, so an increase of RAM will make a remarkable difference. RAM is 1000x faster than disk. 512MB is recommended if you can get it.

Can ddr and sdr be mixed ?

I have an ASUS P46533-MX Motherboard,it has slots for both DDR /SDR ram.Can both types be installed ,or is it an either or situation Help would be appreciated

Thanks for help Realblack, I had misplaced the manual,when moved house.Found it after much searchiing.That is the correct Motherboard type BTW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back