Slow Edimax router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I was hoping you guys can help me out with my problem. I recently installed a EDIMAX BR-6204WLG router . since I have been using my router the internet connection became slow and unstable (frequent time outs and high ping results). I called my ISP about this problem, and they suggested that I hook up my DSL modem directly to a computer, to see whether the problem is from my ISP or from my router. We found out that it was my router that was causing the problem. The other computer on the router is not experiensing this problem. I have tried to download the latest firmware from EDIMAX but that is not successfull invalid file. I have rest the time zone but no improvement. I am using cable connections instead of wireless. and have the wireless turned off.

Why not buy a brand name router that has a warranty and tech support. Why battle a no-name like Edimax when you already know it is bad?

I really dont know who the heck you are, all I asked for was some simple advice not some lecture as to what I might have known about an item before I made a purchase, if you are not capable helping dont reply .

The other computer on the router is not experiensing this problem
Hmm, this contradicts the ISP analysis. If there are two or more systems on the network and systemA
has a networking symptom that systemB can not replicate --
that indites systemA, not the network components (eg the router).
To ensure that it is not a bad port on the router, swap the positions of cables - -
if the symptoms move to the other systemB, then it's clearly the router. Otherwise begin analysis of systemA

Hi jobeard
I did what you suggested and swapped the cables to alternative porrts, there is no bad port on the router , interesting thing is that when I disconnect from the router and go direct to the modem everything is working fine. so now it is analysis on system A , do you have any ideas that can get me started on this,

Hi Jobeard,
followed your link and tried but it keeps saying that run->ipconfig /all is incorreect please type correct address
I am running XP does that make a difference.

1. Check that you have latest firmware.
2. Set your PC's IP as DMZ. You can do it using router's web interface. Check perfomance.
3. If this doesn't help try to shutdown wireless access point.
4. If you have another network card try it. My router was hang with Realtek and working fine with Intel card.

Wait you said other computer connected to the router is working. So wired works and the wireless does not? Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back