Slow Internet connection due to long wire

The speed of my connection is very much compramised due to the RJ11 cord being apx 5 meters long. I have no other option (and i donnot wish to go down the wireless route) but to have an extended cord due to the distance of my computer.

I recently connected a loptop near the phone line and got a 2MB mark up of download speed.

My question is what can I do to optimize my current connection whilst keeping the distance away the same length.

Will of these make a difference, if so, how much?
- A better quality cord.
- Extending the usb instead of the RJ11 internet cord.
- Eetter connection made at the ports.

Any help is appreciated.

A better cable may help, but I've used 50 foot cords with no loss of signal strength, so I'd look for some other cause.

I don't really see how a 5m RJ11 cable is any different to running a telephone extension really to be honest.

As hughva suggested, invest in a decent quality cable, shielded (if thats possible).

Are you using a phone cable direct into your PC/laptop for dial-up internet access, or does the phone cable go to a modem/router (for broadband) on your desk with your pc?

The RJ11 is for my PC, I happened to connect my laptop to a much shorter wire, say 1m, and got a much better speed. Which is what caused me to inquire. It seems logical with a shorter wire as the current as less resistance etc. but obviously the amount lost should be negligible.
I just wanted to confirm then it was in fact the wire it self.
Thanks, guys the help was appreciated.

Ethernet spec supports 100meters between active devices (Nic, Repeater, Router).

Five meters is trivial. Unless there are real hardware errors (which then indites all devices on the network), look elsewhere for the root cause of slow response times.

The usual issue is related to poor DNS response times or even timeouts, which then force more traffic.

The speed of my connection is very much compramised due to the RJ11 cord being apx 5 meters long. I have no other option (and i donnot wish to go down the wireless route) but to have an extended cord due to the distance of my computer.

I recently connected a loptop near the phone line and got a 2MB mark up of download speed.

My question is what can I do to optimize my current connection whilst keeping the distance away the same length.

Will of these make a difference, if so, how much?
- A better quality cord.
- Extending the usb instead of the RJ11 internet cord.
- Eetter connection made at the ports.

Any help is appreciated.

On you on DSL or Cable or Fiber?

Back