Slow Network Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

triggert

I'm using a hub and have 2 different computers hooked up to it, mine being the server. I don't know what kind of network you would classify it as but I'm using it to ftp files to different computers, hope this makes since. But anyway, whenever I hook the cable directly computer to computer I get transfer speeds of about 9-10mb but whenever I run it through the hub I don't get anything over 1mb. Anyone have any idea why the hub would be slowing things down?

Thanks,
Trigg

Replace it with a 10/100 switch or if you are on broadband, a router with built-in 10/100 switch.

Hubs let through selective traffic from one user at a time, whereas switches let through all traffic simultaneously.

It also sounds as if you have some slow 10MB NICs. Replace these with 10/100 NICs

Your computers most likely have 100Mbit NICS so you get 10MB/s transfer rate both ways. Your hub is most likely 10Mbit so you get 1MB/s transfer rate .

Replace the hub with a faster one or get a switch as realblackstuff said (ignore the other two lines by him).

Ahhh, thanks. I didn't even realize, just looked up at the hub and its a 10Base-T. I'll have to dig out the other one laying around the house somewhere and see what it is. Thanks again.

Trigg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back