Some apps unresponsive until HD whirs then clicks

Legoflamb

Hi guys - this is a weird problem that I've always had since building this computer 3 or 4 years ago and I don't think the drive was new when I built it so it went from totally normal in my xp machine to doing this weird thing when I put it in a new system with Win 7.

I've searched and not been able to find anyone with the same problem.

It normally occurs when listening to music or watching a film and it only happens very occasionally when you go to skip to to a new song or skip to a different place in the video. It's never been a major problem and in fact I think it's only done it once this week so aside from googling it a couple of times never actually got very far with fixing it.

So in winamp for example just after opening it I'll click next song (winamp installation and music are on 2 different hard drives as are VLC and movies) and it'll freeze. Then the disk will make a whir and about 5 seconds later there will be a click and everything will come back to life. During this time I can move my mouse and do other things on the computer.

Like I said it's always done this and it's never got any worse or anything so I don't think it's a faulty drive but I'll post this in the HD section too just to see if any experts there can shed any light on it.

Thanks for your help!

Look at your power profile settings. Likely the HD is being powered off after xx minutes.

Hi thanks for the reply - it's set at 20 minutes currently and I've raised it but why does it do it when the computer has only been on for a couple of minutes

Do you mean the power options in control panel?

Yes - - also look at your screen saver, it too can have that option. My laptop has that and it drove me crazy until I found the duplicate control.

Back