Some apps unresponsive until HD whirs then clicks

Legoflamb

Hi guys - this is a weird problem that I've always had since building this computer 3 or 4 years ago and I don't think the drive was new when I built it so it went from totally normal in my xp machine to doing this weird thing when I put it in a new system with Win 7.

I've searched and not been able to find anyone with the same problem.

It normally occurs when listening to music or watching a film and it only happens very occasionally when you go to skip to to a new song or skip to a different place in the video. It's never been a major problem and in fact I think it's only done it once this week so aside from googling it a couple of times never actually got very far with fixing it.

So in winamp for example just after opening it I'll click next song (winamp installation and music are on 2 different hard drives as are VLC and movies) and it'll freeze. Then the disk will make a whir and about 5 seconds later there will be a click and everything will come back to life. During this time I can move my mouse and do other things on the computer.

Like I said it's always done this and it's never got any worse or anything so I don't think it's a faulty drive but I'll post this in the HD section too just to see if any experts there can shed any light on it.

Thanks for your help!

D

DelJo63

Look at your power profile settings. Likely the HD is being powered off after xx minutes.

Legoflamb

Hi thanks for the reply - it's set at 20 minutes currently and I've raised it but why does it do it when the computer has only been on for a couple of minutes

Do you mean the power options in control panel?

D

DelJo63

Yes - - also look at your screen saver, it too can have that option. My laptop has that and it drove me crazy until I found the duplicate control.