Some sort of video problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinobi101

hi.. i need your help.. my problem is:

1. when i boot my computer, it hangs-up(it does not even show the bios start-up thing) , there is some sort of sound coming from the power supply, and when i keep on rebooting it, then finally gets through and i see the BIOS showing something about incorrect frequency.. i reboot and then it is okay..

2. when i boot my computer, my monitor does not show anything and my computer hangs-up, when i turn it off, then boot my computer it loads to windows then when i turn on the monitor my computer hangs-up again.. so what i did was take the cable off connecting the CPU and Monitor, turn on my computer, wait till there is no some sort of loading happening (so it means that my computer finally gets in windows XP), plug the cable back in at the back of the CPU then my computer is fine..

can anyone tell me what is the problem with this?

Video Card: On-board VGA
Motherboard: ASUS

nope.. my computer has been with me for 2 years now.. this is the first time that i noticed it will hang-up when i turn on my monitor.. for example it goes to standby mode then when i move my mouse to turn it on again, it hangs-up..

Since this has been happening what have you changed? (example: memory, new programs, etc)

hmmm... i have not changed anything.. computer is just the same.. do you think my power supply is broken? or do i need to install a Video Card?

I don't think that it is your power supply, if that was going out then your computer would be restarting all the time. Your video card is intagrated and could be a possibility. Try running some hardware test on the motherboard, the memory and the harddrive. Most of these tests can be found on the Ultimate boot disk. http://www.majorgeeks.com/Ultimate_Boot_Disk_ME_d1497.html

It might just come down to reinstalling the operating system.

i have already reinstalled the OS.. ive installed a new video card Radeon A2900SE 128mb.. its boots up.. but now the problem is that it goes blue screen after i play 3D games like NBA live 2006.. its okay for a while then suddeny it a blue screen starts up or sumtimes it restarts.. how bout RAM? ey.. i have Win Xp but the ultimate boot disk is for Win ME..

Open the case and read the specs off the side of the PSU. We need to know the 3.3V, 5V and 12V output amps.
Edit: removed photo, so removed link to it.

the label on the power supply says:

Pentium IV
ATX Switching Power Supply
Model: SZ-300W ATX

AC input 220 / 110V AC 50 / 60Hz 2.5 / 5A
Fuse Rating: F6.3A 250V AC

/ 3.3V / +5V / +12V / -5V / -12V / 5VSB /
/ 14A / 25A / 12A / 0.5A / 0.5A/ 25A /
300W

how will we know that the PS is defective?
my computer now keeps on restarting after a few hours or minutes of using.. it restarts then does not get through the start-up of bios and when i reboot it goes to the bios saying sumthing about invalid CPU frequency sumthing..

im still gonna use the ultimate boot cd.. but how do i use it?

I'm pretty sure your PSU is the problem, 12Amps on the 12volt rail just isn't enough. Now that the PSU is older it is even less efficient and putting out even less current, but more heat.

To be more certain, we need your complete system specs. You can dwnload CPU-Z and post the log file (.txt) as attachment. Also dwnload Speedfan, this will tell us your temperatures and the voltages off the PSU. This will tell me if the PSU is straining.

Cheers.
PS. in my sig is a link to BSODs, in there is a link to ExtremePSUCalculator. Go there and fins out how much watts your system needs. The second link is another good write-up about BSODs and trouble-shooting them.

Okay.. thanx a lot.. so my problem is the PSU..

I tried using the psu calculator.. I dont know some of the info required..

ey.. where can I download CPU-z?

I have put a attachment, the report by speedfan.. hope it helps..

Attachments

• Report1.txt
    25 KB · Views: 7
ok for some reason Speedfan is not reading your 12Volt rail, which is the one I'm most interested in. Your 5Volts looks ok, but the 3.3V is reading 3.01V which is a 10% drop. I suspect that the 12V rail is pulling it down (i.e if it draws all the current it can take, it will affect the other 2 rails).
Another program called motherboard monitor

CPU-Z

I have attached info from cpu-z, mbm, a picture of the speedfan main window and configure window..

I tried using the PSU calculator.. my pc only requires 284 watts.. hmm... I may be wrong coz some fields I dunno what to put.. but is it still okay? I have a 300 watts PSU..

Attachments

• speedFanConfigure.JPG
    speedFanConfigure.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 5
  • speedfanMain.JPG
    speedfanMain.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 5
Did you fix you computer

Sounds like it's overheating, get a new fan.

There is a safety shut off for overheating.

New fan should do it.

But this is an old post, so hopefully you didn't burn down the house

wow.. theres either something wrong with the sensors or you left your pc back in Hades... 127`C temps 2&3?? 0.0V on 12V+ and 5V+? -16.25V on -12V??

hopefully you've installed a new psu and cleaned out the dust in your pc and retest again, then checked your mobo for any burns/wierd looking things before your pc went to meltdown mode.......

old post? its only been 2 days... oh.. maybe...

EDIT: go boot into bios and check its hardware monitors and see what it says.... if you have bought a new psu, be sure its a good brand..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back