Something new? Vbox, vboxr.dll, vboxm.dll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Hey, I did a search and vobxr.dll is not anywhere in these forums!

Interresting because I have this on my machine and I really don't know what it is or what it does.
Here is what I know about it thus far:

1- When vbox runs on your PC, it open TWO rundll32 processes and they CANNOT be closed, they instantly open again. And they take about 8mb together. I'd like to get rid of them.

2- The DLLs are stored in Program Files\Common Files\Vbox\Common

3- From looking through the vbox folders, it seems the program has something to do with licensing programs or running free trials or something. I believe it originally got installed with the free trials of Adobe products such as Encore DVD, Premiere Pro, After Effects. However, I removed all these programs and vbox is still running.

4- The vbox folder has these subfolders:
-Common (dlls)
-Data (empty)
-Images (empty)
-Installers (empty)
-Licenses (has files with the adobe names)
----------------------------------------------------------

I employ anybody who stubles across this thread, who has used any Adobe "trial" products, or even any other trial products, to check Task Manager for two copies of rundll32 which cannot be closed. Then see if you have the vbox folder.

You can use a program like CurrProcess to see the vboxr.dll running under rundll32.

Frankly, I'm going to just hack this out of my system, and hope it doesn't effect how my programs run, surely my system doesn't require the use of this 8mb POC.

So does anybody KNOW what this program really is? What I need it for? Or how to remove it? Or what will be effected if it is removed?
If it only belonged to the Adobe products, and those are gone now, I shouldn't have any issues removing it I would think.

Ideas? thx

Ya I found that doc also, a bit overkill I think, but oh well.

Since it didn't appear that any programs still used/needed vbox for whatever it is, I went in Safe Mode and was able to delete the files and registry entries just fine. No more vbox. No more two copies of rundll32 taking up 8mb of RAM.

Still a mystery as to what exactly it was though.

Interresting stuff. To bad that when you remove those programs, vbox still runs and chews up your resources.

Everybody best take a look at their own systems just in case. Inside the Licenses folder, you'll see the names of the programs that are using it. If you don't have those programs installed anymore, I suggest getting rid of vbox.

This concludes our broadcast day. click

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back