Sony announces a ridiculous-looking speaker / TV remote gadget

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Sony has unveiled a product it’s calling the SRS-LSR100 which is a pretty terrible name for what can best be described as a peculiar gadget.

At first glance, the device looks like an unusual wireless speaker with way too many buttons on the top. That’s pretty much what it is – a 2.4GHz wireless speaker with a television remote built in.

The idea is that you can control and listen to your television without actually having to be in the same room. For example, you could listen to the news while you’re in the kitchen cooking or working out in the exercise room. It comes with a dongle that plugs into your television to beam audio to the speaker.

The oddity includes a headphone jack (kind of defeats the purpose of having a speaker, no?), a number pad, a large volume dial, channel up and down buttons and more. There’s also a convenient carrying handle to tote around the small brick which tips the scales at nearly a pound. The internal battery is said to last up to 16 hours.

The SRS-LSR100 will be available starting next month in Japan for around $170. No word yet on whether or not it’ll be sold in other regions. At that price point, I suspect Sony will have a hard time convincing buyers that they need this clumsy-looking gadget in their lives.

Permalink to story.

10, 11, 12? Where is the #, 0, *

TV zombies don't understand 0. There is a reason in skyscrapers they have 1-100 buttons instead of 0-9, 'cos not everybody can count, never mind count and control finger pressing at the same time.

Ridicules? Noooo, it looks highly functional. Not as stylus as most, but are you buying it for it's looks or for the way it works?

For 170 bucks I'll buy another TV set , no need to change batteries.
Exactly, or a pair of wireless headphones and plug the transmitter into the TV. I do this with my PC while waiting between rounds of games, waiting for team matching etc., wander downstairs to the kitchen to make a cup of tea :)

Its obviously a time machine that will allow you and up to three of your friends to travel through time and space, but where ever and whenever you go you only have 16 hours there and if you go over that time you have to stay there forever. Also every time you speak, Japanese subtitles appear...

Back