Sony celebrates PlayStation's 20th anniversary with a limited edition, retro-themed PS4

Shawn Knight

Staff member

playstation ps4 sony retro playstation 4 limited edition 20th birthday

Sony Pictures is still reeling from what has been described as the most embarrassing and all-encompassing corporate data hack ever to go public. It’s a completely different tone in the gaming division, however, as today marks the 20th anniversary of the launch of the original PlayStation console.

Interestingly enough, Sony never intended to build a standalone game console; it was actually Nintendo that commissioned Sony to develop a CD-ROM add-on for the Super Nintendo. The deal eventually collapsed at which time Sony decided to try its hand in the console gaming industry – a very wise move in hindsight.

To celebrate the occasion, Sony has created a special 20th Anniversary Edition PlayStation 4 that features the same original grey paint scheme, the familiar four-color PlayStation logo and tiny etchings that have the iconic button symbols found on the controller.

Sony also threw in a “2” as a nod to the anniversary.

Buyers will also receive a matching vertical stand, a DualShock 4 controller with the original 4-color button as well as the same button etchings on the touchpad and a matching PlayStation camera.

The 20th Anniversary Edition PlayStation 4 will be available in extremely limited quantities – they’re making just 12,300 globally. Each unit will be numbered which can be found on a small aluminum plate on the top / side of the console.

It’ll go up for pre-order starting December 6 in Canada and the US. Sony notes that more information will be provided during the PlayStation Experience keynote that gets under way at 10:00 am Pacific Time on Saturday.

No word yet on how much it’ll cost although I suspect console collectors and diehard PlayStation fans will be willing to spend whatever it takes to get their hands on it.

Permalink to story.

And maybe a 1TB HDD too? Watch it be twice as expensive as the standard console.

And maybe a 1TB HDD too? Watch it be twice as expensive as the standard console.

Kotaku is stating that the console will be $499 and 499 Euros in each respective territory. Unfortunately, there is no 1TB hard drive.

With the going rate of 1tb HDs I'm not sure how it makes that much of a difference. now tell me it comes with a 1tb SSD drive and that the software has been tweaked to take full advantage of it, then I would say sweet.

I understand why people want Sony to provide a larger hard drive when you can easily remove and replace the current hard drive for one of your own choosing. You could even put an SSD in it if you wanted. I think pace wise you are limited to a 9.55mm drive but regardless.

Back