Sony intros colorful 14 and 17-inch VAIO E notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Sony has added two new notebooks to its rambunctious VAIO E line, which come in cheery, seizure-inducing colors. Both new offerings -- the 14-inch VPCEA1Z1E and 17.3-inch VPCEC1S1E -- are equipped with discrete graphics and Blu-ray players for high-def entertainment on the run.

The smaller system features a 1600x900 LED-backlit display, a 2.13GHz Core i3-330M processor, and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145 with 512MB of VRAM, while the heftier unit has a 1080p screen, a 2.26GHz i5-430M, and an HD 5650 with 1GB of memory.

Both machines are also outfitted with 4GB of DDR3 1066MHz RAM, 500GB to 1TB of storage, a webcam, 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, three USB ports, one eSATA combo, HDMI-out, and Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

The 14-incher weighs about 2.35kg (5.1lbs) and should be available in early April, while its larger sibling is around 3.3kg (7.3lbs) and is expected to ship at the end of March.

Permalink to story.

Pretty :) I am definitely a fan of blu-ray so glad to see them continuing to be put standard in more PCs

Any word on prices Matthew? I know Sony products can seize the kings ransom, so I was wondering if they're going to play nice with the consumer's wallets or if these will follow the typical path.

9Nails said:
Any word on prices Matthew? I know Sony products can seize the kings ransom, so I was wondering if they're going to play nice with the consumer's wallets or if these will follow the typical path.

I think you're confusing Sony with Apple ;) Some of Sony's lower end laptops are actually reasonably priced, as long as you don't go for the £200 upgrade for an extra 2GB RAM or whatever.

On another note, surely Sony have exhausted the alphabet by now for their computer line up?

9Nails, I didn't see official pricing in the press release, but you can specify your location and get an idea on the prices here. It seems the systems are £700 and up. Note that initial availability seems limited to Europe.

Does this new sizes mean that 15.5 inch ones will be discontinued?

Fashion accessories on second floor. I was expecting racing stripes, flames and other patterns. Not so news worthy from my perspective. Buut..Ya gotta have a press release...daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back