Sony may be preparing a 6.4-inch Xperia Z5 Ultra for 2016 launch

Scorpus

Staff member

It was only last week that Sony officially unveiled a trio of new Xperia Z5 smartphones, including the 5.5-inch Z5 Premium with its 4K display. Today the rumor mill is back in full swing, with the latest report indicating that Sony is preparing to launch a larger-screened 'Xperia Z5 Ultra' in early 2016.

The Xperia Z5 Ultra would be a pretty gigantic smartphone if it ends up launching with its rumored 6.44-inch display. Like the Z5 Premium, the Z5 Ultra is expected to be a 4K smartphone, meaning its large display will feature a huge pixel density of 684 ppi.

Other rumored specs include a 23-megapixel rear camera, presumably the same camera Sony is using in their other Xperia Z5 series devices. Due to the sheer size of the Z5 Ultra, there will be plenty of room to fit in the rumored 4,000 mAh battery.

On the SoC front, it's expected that Sony will opt for Qualcomm's next-generation Snapdragon 820 in the Z5 Ultra. The 820 won't be ready for device integration until early 2016, but considering the Z5 Ultra will reportedly launch in March 2016, the use of next-gen parts is pretty likely.

If Sony does end up releasing a massive Xperia Z5 Ultra, I hope it will be a lot more usable than the original Xperia Z Ultra that we reviewed back in 2013. While the Z Ultra was attractively thin for a smartphone, its huge 6.4-inch display was cumbersome and didn't fit in your pockets.

Permalink to story.

Now that the 1st 4K screen is hitting the market the rest of the manufacturers will be following suit so we can expect to see most flagship devices rocking those screens next year.
Manufacturers need to keep flagship devices relevant where a decent mid/high range device will fulfill 99% of all peoples needs and the 4K screen is all about form before function.

While the Z Ultra was attractively thin for a smartphone, its huge 6.4-inch display was cumbersome and didn't fit in your pockets.
When something doesn't fit in your pocket, maybe it doesn't belong there. You see, my car also doesn't fit in my pocket, but I'm not even complaining.

Back