Sony surprises all with quarterly profit thanks to Spider-Man, PS4

Shawn Knight

Staff member

sony smartphone movies earnings playstation 4 quarterly report games

Strong sales of the PlayStation 4 and a solid performance at the box office led Sony to post quarterly results that have everyone surprised. The electronics and entertainment company reported revenue of $17.9 billion, up nearly six percent year-over-year, resulting in a profit of around $261 million. Most analysts were expecting a loss.

Sales of the company's next-generation console were up 96 percent in the quarter as it continues to outpace Microsoft's Xbox One. As a result, the games unit realized a profit of $43 million compared to a massive $164 million loss during the same period a year ago.

Sony Pictures, the company's film and television arm, had an impressive quarter as well thanks largely to releases like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 which has grossed more than $700 million worldwide and 22 Jump Street, a flick with ticket sales of nearly $280 million and counting.

The company's mobile division, however, didn't do nearly as well. The unit posted a loss of around $26 million as sales of its Xperia smartphones continue to decline. Sony said they expect to sell 43 million Xperia phones this year, down from a previous forecast of 50 million.

Despite the surprise quarterly profit, Sony is still expected to post a loss for the year which would be the sixth annual loss in the past seven years following declining sales of compact cameras and televisions.

Permalink to story.

I haven't watched the movie (due to lack of available time), but I was and still am hyped, so that most be the explanation for the rest of the people. About the mobile division... I own a Z2 since may, I'm disappointed and wouldn't buy a high-end Xperia again.

Fun fact: Sony makes much of its money from providing financial services. The video game console division is a drop in the bucket by comparison.

Microsoft has yet to recover froms it's hamfisted rollout of Xbox One. Shame because I play it more than I play my PS4 at the moment.

The CEO Kaz Hirai was probably so relieved to hear the news. For the past 2 years the entire company has been under constant worry of going completely bankrupt.

$17.9 billion in revenue is just $261 million in profit?
Eletronics does not make the amount of money they used back in the early 2000's. Also you should consider that Sony is not making profit in many divisions, like cell phone and TV's. Still they need to pay advertises. In all Sony is going strong where it needs to.
The same can't be said about Microsoft in gaming division. Xbox One is a huge failure. So is Bing. Those two make a bad name for Microsoft. Emphasis on Bing. Microsoft needs to change strategy where it can. Xbox without Kinect was a start, but now they need to start bundling.

Back