Sony Vaio Desktop series RZ30C Model# PCV-RZ30CG - RAM upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the above PC and was hoping to increase the Ram size from 2gig to 4 gig.
I had a fruitless chat with Sony tech support (as usual) and they inform me that 2gig is the max for my machine.
The mobo has 4 ram slots 184pin config and at the moment is carrying 4 x 512m memory sticks type PC3200U and was hoping to fit 4x 1gig type PC3200U sticks. Unfortuately the PC takes for ever to boot with 4 x 1gig sticks in.
Can anyone advise if this machine is at its max of 2gig or can the BIOS be pursuaded to see 4gig?

Hopefully I can workout the new 4 x 1gig sticks config, if not I will have to return them to the supplier. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm....guess my enquiry does not attract the same attention as game machines and building new computers...did get 63 viewers though but no enlightenment.

Sony's specs for this model:
4 Memory slots
1GB max PC3200 DDR memory module per slot
4GB total memory allowed
Something is mentioned about a certain chip type per memory module. What OS are you running XP? 32 bit or 64 bit?

Thank you for your response to my ram upgrade question. I have been in touch with Sony technical support, they insist that RZ30C Model# PCV-RZ30CG can only support 2gig. I have tried specified memory sticks from Crucial (2 kits of 2 x 1gig) but the machine could not see 4gig and took for ever to boot. One kit of 2 x 1gig worked ok.
I contacted the bios suppliers American Meggatreands, they may have difficulty identifying the bios because computer OEM's often alter bios after it is supplied by American Meggatreads.

With all the investigating that I have already done I have concluded that a PC of this age is not worth the effort and will leave it as is. A new PC build looks like the more obvious way to go and I will re-direct my energy towards this end

I must again thank you for responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back