Sony will reportedly unveil the PlayStation Neo on September 7 at New York Event

midian182

Staff member

Sony confirmed the existence of its mid-cycle PlayStation 4 refresh back in June. The upgraded machine, known as Project Neo or the PlayStation 4.5, wasn’t unveiled at E3, but multiple reports claim it will debut at a September 7 event in New York City.

Initially reported by French site Gameblog and verified by Vice Gaming, the date comes from “multiple sources familiar with the planned rollout for the new machine.”

Andrew House, president and group CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, said games that support both the new console and the PlayStation 4 would be arriving this fall, which would make next month a suitable time for this “technical showcase.”

We still don’t know the precise details of the Neo. While it is 4K capable, it’s unclear exactly how far this will extend beyond media such as (possible) Ultra Blu-Ray disc support and UHD streaming.

Sony has avoided answering direct questions about how the Neo will handle 4K gaming. It’s thought that the machine will have 4K native output of select games and the ability to upscale others to 4K, but we should get the full picture next month.

It’s rumored that the new console will feature eight AMD “Jaguar” CPU cores clocked at 2.1 GHz, a Polaris-based GPU with 2304 cores and a 911Mhz clock, and 218 GB/s of memory bandwidth. While this is an improvement over the current PlayStation 4, the Neo’s hardware lags behind that found in Microsoft’s upcoming 4K machine: the Xbox Scorpio.

The Neo is expected to launch before the end of this year. The Xbox Scorpio will be available either November or December 2017, which means Sony's machine could be around for a year before its rival hits the scene.

Image credit: charnsitr / Shutterstock

Permalink to story.

Sounds like the new Sony device will use Polaris 11, the same chip that the new RX460 uses. AMD has stated after all that the Polaris 11 chip is designed for low power consumption/mobile devices, etc.

The heart and soul of any gaming machine is the GPU, so sad to see Sony and Microsoft continually accept the 'good enough' motto. If you made your original consoles more powerful you wouldn't be re-releasing a new console 10 seconds later. (but hey make everyone buy a new console again? $$$$$ why not) Consoles cyles are more parallel with PC's now and refresh's within a few years will become more common.

Now, I get that they can't stick a GTX 1080 and price a console for $400, I get that. I also get they understand that an isolated system will always be outdated compared to a PC you can upgrade at will. That being said I would like to see them offer a little more GPU power now...its 2016 damn you!

Sounds like the new Sony device will use Polaris 11, the same chip that the new RX460 uses. AMD has stated after all that the Polaris 11 chip is designed for low power consumption/mobile devices, etc.
unlikely, 11 is too small. Polaris 10 is their only option.

unlikely, 11 is too small. Polaris 10 is their only option.
Yes, but my point was that Polaris 11 would make sense from a power draw standpoint. AMD has clearly stated that is the intention of the Polaris 11 chip. Less power means less heat. And since game consoles are restricted in heat generation because of the physically limited size, I still stand by the reasoning to use Polaris 11. But what do I know....maybe they will try to cam Polaris 10 in there....

Yes, but my point was that Polaris 11 would make sense from a power draw standpoint. AMD has clearly stated that is the intention of the Polaris 11 chip. Less power means less heat. And since game consoles are restricted in heat generation because of the physically limited size, I still stand by the reasoning to use Polaris 11. But what do I know....maybe they will try to cam Polaris 10 in there....
It's not like I don't understand your reasoning, but Polaris 11 is barely more powerful than what they already have in the PS4.
If it's heat and power draw then lowering the clocks and voltage on the Polaris 10 GPU is more than enough.
Let's not forget that the entire Polaris lineup (both 10 and 11) has a much lower power draw compared to previous generations.

edit: And in terms of stock, it doesn't make sense to go with the best Polaris 11 GPU. They'll never be able to keep with the demand. Going for lower clocked Polaris 10 remains as their only solution.

It's not like I don't understand your reasoning, but Polaris 11 is barely more powerful than what they already have in the PS4.
If it's heat and power draw then lowering the clocks and voltage on the Polaris 10 GPU is more than enough.
Let's not forget that the entire Polaris lineup (both 10 and 11) has a much lower power draw compared to previous generations.

edit: And in terms of stock, it doesn't make sense to go with the best Polaris 11 GPU. They'll never be able to keep with the demand. Going for lower clocked Polaris 10 remains as their only solution.
Yes I agree with you. But I guess we'll see what they do. Although I don't know why I am speculating anyway, since I am not a console user....maybe just because it is hardware....lol

Back