Sorry; another 'can you look at my minidump?' thread...?driver problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

My first post here, but I'm trying to stick to the rules. I wonder if any experts could lend their brains to this?

My hardware:
AMD Athlon 3200 XP (Socket A)
A7N8X-X Motherboard
1 GB PC3200 DDR RAM (2 x 256MB 'generic', 1 x 512 MB Corsair, all CL3)
Nvidia 6800GT AGP
450W PSU (generic)
WIndows XP Home SP2

I've been getting lots of BSOD's recently, without having changed any hardware. The error messages were initially 'PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA:0x00000050' but now are repeatedly 'STOP: 0x0000008E'. I think it may be a driver problem, but haven't been able to pinpoint which one, or why it's happening now. Safe mode works flawlessly but XP dies within a minute or two, usually when trying to access the internet. Seems to imply a driver problem...?

I have taken the following steps so far:

1. Updated my videocard drivers - no change.
2. Checked that my motherboard drivers are up to date - they are. BIOS up to date also.
3. Ran memtest86 on my memory modules, both collectively on all 3 sticks and independently, by removing sticks - passes with no errors.
4. Checked that my PSU is putting out enough voltage on each rail - AsusProbe indicates that each rail is within 5% of the prescribed voltage.
5. Ensured that I am not overheating CPU/GPU/MB - using AsusProbe and Speedfan. The values given seem to match well and be within the known acceptable range for each component.
6. Created a new pagefile by setting value of this to '0', defragging, and re-creating the page file.
7. Physicaly cleaned out the inside of the computer.

After following all the steps above, it really seems to imply that I have a driver/software problem as opposed to a hardware problem e.g. dying RAM.

Would someone have a look at my minidumps and help me figure out if I'm right, and if so, what software/drivers are causing this? I've tried to do everything before posting this in order to sort it, but I'm just dying of frustration now.

Thanks all.

Pete

points to faulty graphics drivers. Perhaps the ones you have aren't good ones.
Try some other ones.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

There is nothing in your minidumps that points to a graphics driver problem.

3 minidumps crash at FSAVP.SYS. this is part of your Kaspersky antivirus software. They have a bugcheck of 8E.

Try updating the programme, if that doesn`t help uninstall the programme and try another antivirus programme such as the free AVG.

2 minidumps crash at ntoskrnl.exe. This is the Windows nt & kernel system file. They have a bugcheck of 50.

1 minidump crashes with an unknown image and a bugcheck of 8E.

In addition to your antivirus troubles, you should go HERE and follow the instructions. This is because you may have a ram problem as well.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Update:

Since removing Kaspersky and replacing with AVG, there have been zero crashes/BSODs. As I said before, I didn't think it was a memory problem (and memtest checked my RAM out as OK).

Thanks for your help, Howard. Kudos to your expertise!

Sincerely,
Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back