Sound card?

Hi all, When I go into sounds and audio devices in windows xp contol panel, it says No Audio Device. does this mean there's no sound card? Hope someone can help.

Thanks, Keith.

Hi St1ckM4n, As I am a complete numpty with computers could you tell me where I might find the information. Is it listed somewhere in the computer program?

Thanks Keith.

Hi St1ckM4n, Managed to eek this info. One other question, how do I check if there is only one operating sytem loaded and if there is more than one how do I delete the one I don't want. Thanks, Keith.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PC1
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model OptiPlex GX280
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 1 GenuineIntel ~2992 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A04, 09/02/2005
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name PC1\Keith
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 712.99 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.39 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Thanks . Downloaded and worked. I can listen to my favourite song ( Learning To Fly by Tom Petty )
. Looking at the system list above could you recommend anything else to enhance the performance?

Thanks again, I am very grateful. Keith.

Glad it worked.

Your computer is getting on a bit. If you feel comfortable opening up your PC, you could buy some more RAM. You have 1GB now, and getting more to have 2-3GB total shouldn't cost too much (and should give you a decent performance boost).

Otherwise, I'd start saving up for an entirely new system, since you'd need to update everything.

As with all machines, give it a defrag and cleanup to speed things up a bit.

Thanks again, I'll consider the ram first, cheapest. I don't do gaming so for what I do do it will probably suffice with ram.

Thanks, Keith.

Back