Sound driver help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
today i went through control panel and deleted some programs i thought had no meaning. turns out i deleted some sound driver and now i get the classic
"Direct Sound output v2.2.7 error

Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration. Error Code 88780078"

when i try to listen to zeppelin or any other music on comp

all help is appreciated greatly.

Does your 'system restore' go back far enough to get out of this? If it will work at all. It may return the 'drivers'. Although drivers are seldom listed in the 'add remove programs' list. You may have uninstalled a plug-in like 'Adobe flash player' that your program needs to give you sound in certain (but not all) situations. Go to 'device manager' and open up the sound section of the components tree. You will be able to get information on your Window's sound situation.

I sort of have a similar issue. I was cleaning up my computer because I had a lot of viruses and one thing that showed up as infected was a SoundMAX component. I deleted it, and now I have no sound and when I try to install a new driver it says "No Drivers found, Please restart and run the setup again".

This makes no sense to me because of course there are no drivers found, thats why i'm trying to install new ones. I have no idea what to do...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Alright PointZero,
same question for you... What is the make and model of your computer? If it is a home built system, what is the model number of the motherboard?

its pretty much stock.
HP Pavilion a 220n

sucks not having sound eh, pointzero?

video card isn't stock.
but i've had it for a few months so thats not the problem.
should've known what i was deletin'

pdyckman@comcas said:
Does your 'system restore' go back far enough to get out of this? If it will work at all. It may return the 'drivers'. Although drivers are seldom listed in the 'add remove programs' list. You may have uninstalled a plug-in like 'Adobe flash player' that your program needs to give you sound in certain (but not all) situations. Go to 'device manager' and open up the sound section of the components tree. You will be able to get information on your Window's sound situation.

System Restore should always be turned off in my opinion... It is an easy task to reinstall "lost" sound drivers as bukowterpol just did. If PointZero would do the same as bukowterpol's done, his sound would be working too

I apologize, i've been out all day. I have an Asus P5N-SLI (Chipset: nForce 570 Intel) motherboard. I dont know if you need that chipset info, but it was on there so I gave it to you anyways. Thanks for the help!

I went there and downloaded that audio driver but it says my OS doesn't support it. I do use XP. I downloaded the 64bit one though, now i'm trying the other one for XP and i'll see if that works.

There was no "that audio driver" in the link I provided... it took you to a page where you had to select the motherboard's product, series and model from the drop down lists. Once you did that you would have to select "audio" and go down the list to the XP audio driver (ADI AD1986A audio driver)... a simple procedure for some

Actually I couldn't even find my motherboard on the list. So I went through and had it auto-detect my hardware and give me an entire list of all drivers compatible with my hardware. Next, I selected the Audio tab and downloaded, then tried to install, the ADI AD1986A audio drivers and it said they are not compatible with my OS. I actually ended up finding a CD for my motherboard that had the audio driver on it but my sound still isn't working even though my computer at least recognizes SoundMax now.

Not a simple procedure for me apparently. Especially since it's a ZIP file with like 5+ .exe files, and I don't really know which one is even supposed to work...

Here's what you should have in the dropdown boxes:
Motherboard
Socket 775
P5NSLI (this doesn't have to be the exact correct model number)

expand the audio list and select the XP version of the ADI AD1986A audio driver. Try installing this way

I did it that way and it took me to the same place as when I did the auto-detect to find my hardware. I've downloaded and tried all XP drivers and i'm still getting the same message. I don't know what I did but i've really screwed my sound up =(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back