Sound problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aberhosan

I have a creative soundblaster gaming sound card that suddenly stopped working. I have downloaded the correct drivers from creative and I have disabled the onboard sound. I can install everything ok but when I reboot my computer after the installation as instructed, my computer crashes. I have tried all kinds of different ways to do this but I,ve failed. I ever uninstalled the onboard sound. can anyone help?

Hi Tmagic650, Thanks for suporting my thoughts, I have done a thorough virus check, and my sound card is now with a friend to see if it will work on his machine. My other doupt is the mobo, the card is recognized in one slot but not an other. I have only two spare slots. If you think of anything else that could be causing the problem I would be grateful of any more help.Regards Bill.

Hi Tmagic650, Thanks for suporting my thoughts, I have done a thorough virus check, and my sound card is now with a friend to see if it will work on his machine. My other doupt is the mobo, the card is recognized in one slot but not an other. I have only two spare slots. If you think of anything else that could be causing the problem I would be grateful of any more help.Regards Bill.

What did you use to scan for viruses/malware? Did it find anything?

I'm not sure it would necessarily be virus/malware related. It could be just the fact that creative's recent drivers are terrible. They really are. Lots of people have been complaining about them on other enthusiast forums and such, so I would try downgrading the drivers and see if it works. If it does, then it's a driver issue.

Just a thought.

I scanned with avg and then with malwarebytes all clear. I have deleted the downloaded drivers that creative told me to use and installed the drivers on the disc that came with the card. I should mention that my operating system is xp 64.

1. Can you boot into windows at all? Have you tried booting into safemode?

2. If you can get into windows, use Device Manager to Disable the Creative card for now AND uninstall Creative drivers for now. You might go the extra 9 yards and physical remove it as well.

3. You can also use Device Manager to disable and then uninstall the onboard sound card.

4. Look in your BIOS to make the onboard sound not even be seen by computer hardware at boot. Check your BIOS settings

5. Do throrough virus scans follwing steps click here

6. Good to complete all those scans first tho may still be othe issue but complete above steps first

/* edit */
btw.. is your machine doing an auto-boot when it crashes? It shouldn't so you can see crash data...
For XP (Vista is similar not exact same steps)
Rt click My Compter->Properties go to Advanced tab
Click Startup and REcovery Settigns
Under System Failure, uncheck Auto restart

For write debugging info, set to Small memory dump

aberhosan

To Drowsiness, I have removed the card and given it to a friend to test on his computer. To LookinAround, My computer is working with the onboard sound, not as good as it was but usable. I have uninstalled the the drivers after removing the card. I have tried installing various versions of creative drivers,all failed. During that process I disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS, when that didn't work, I uninstalled the onboard sound. For the time being I am using the onboard sound and waiting for the card to come back, meanwhile I will follow your virus scan advice. I will post again after I get my card back, and check all of your advice before trying to reinstall. I appreciate all your help. Regards Bill.

soundcard

Hi all I have just heard from my friend and the card is knackered. So its a new card for me, thanks for all your help. Regards Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back