Sound stops working at random period of time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this is a very odd problem.

What happens exactly is that at what seems a random point of time, usually long after the computer's been turned on though, a very loud buzzing and static-y sound will start playing from my speakers (or headphones if they're plugged in). This goes on for about 5 seconds, and then all audio cuts. Oddly enough, if I even try to play a sound (say I press Play on a song in Winamp) it won't even play the song at all, almost as though it knows the sound won't work. If I let a video play, there's a big lag time before it starts, and then it plays, but without sound.

If I wait long enough, usually about 5 minutes, the sound comes back. I at first thought it might be my speakers, considering they're almost 6 years old, but when I noticed this would happen to my headphones too, I figured it was the sound card. My sound card is a Creative SB X-Fi.

Any other information that you need, please just tell me. I hope this problem isn't as odd and uncommon as I think it is =P

All help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

What are your complete system specs? Have you tried updating the sound card drivers directly from Creative's support site?

Yes, the drivers for the sound card are fully up to date.

My system specs:
Dell XPS 730
Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz
Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)
4 GB RAM (Vista reads 2.301 GB)
688 GB NTFS Hard Disk
ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 (with CrossFireX)
Creative SB X-Fi Sound card

I've got the exact same problem. Annoying as hell >_>
And i got a XPS 420 :eek:
To make it working again i have to go into sound options and click on my speakers and then play a test tone in studio quality instead of my normal one. Then i get a warning message that this unit is already being used but if i continue anyway the sound gets back. Although i sometimes have to restart the programs to get back the sound for them after i done that fix.

Would also love to know a fix for this :)

Make sure that your system is free from viruses and other malware, and don't tell us you are using McAfee or Symantec :( Download and install free Malwarebytes and scan your system. You might be shocked at what you discover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back