Specific problem with my Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value. Any hint?

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklogus

Hi all!

I am having a strange problem with the sound card of my back-up PC, and I need some technical help

The sound card of my PC is a Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value 1024 (that I bought in the end of 2001). So, it’s not a new device…

Anyways, I never had any trouble with it… Recently, I am having an intermittent sound when I play some (few) games, as F1 2002 and F1 Challenge (and its respective mods). ALWAYS, when I begin some race, the sound begins to fail, in an intermittent way, for a short time (from 10 seconds to 40 seconds), and, after this, no more any problem with the sound, until the end of the respective race … The worst is that, while the sound is failing, the FPS decreases hardly, what is really odd!!… When I use the on-board sound of my MoBo, there is not any problem… Unfortunately, the quality of the on-board sound card is very worse than of my Creative card; that’s because I really would like to use the better device, if possible…

I can’t observe this kind of problem in any other racing game that I have (with all them, the sound works great, all time)…

As I have not changed any setting of these 2 specific games (this is a very recent issue), and the sound works normally with all others games, I really can’t believe that there is a hardware damage… In order to try to solve this weird problem, I have already re-installed it respective driver, but no success…

I am not an expert on these matters (far from this); so, I would like some opinions about what can be happening…

Any information / hint will be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help !

As an information, my basic Back-up PC spec is:

- Processor: P4 2.8 533 MHz
- MoBo: Asus P4S800D
- RAM: 1.024 MB DDR 333 (Kingston Value Ram) - 04 sticks of 256 MB each one.
- Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value (WDM)
- Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon 9600 XT
- 02 HDDs: 01 Maxtor 120 GB, 7200 rpm, ATA-133 + 01 Seagate 40 GB, 7200 rpm, ATA-100

Have you tried the latest drivers from Creative? You can use the Auto Update feature. Also see if your games have any patches available.

wow thats your backup pc?? my regular pc is a P4 1.6, ati radion 9600 and onvoarrd sound, p s i would do wa vagasmc said, also if u didnt alredy check the settings in the game

Thanks for your opinions, vegasgmc & swker98!
But I have already updated the driver of my sound card, and I didnt change anything in the sound settings of these games (I play these games for 02 years, and never had any problem...). So, the mystery keeps on...

I had one of the original SB Live Values and it was nothing but trouble, driver wise. You may have a problem with Windows. It seemed like any little thing screwed up the sound for me. I have an Audigy now and I still have to re-install the drivers every few months beause sound disappears or some of the driver features stop working.

what kind of speakers do you have? Mine are digital from an old gateway system. You might have to select digital out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back