Spontaneously shutting down.. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'm in over my head here. Sorry if I'm completely off, and this is entirely the wrong place to ask this, but I am this close to strangling my computer, so I fugured, why not try.

My computer is two years old, it's a lap-top of the Brand HP Pavillion, and there's a little number on it that says dv4073EA.
I have norton antivirus installed, and upon doing a system-check, nothing is amiss. I did however recieve a notification the other day that a virus had snuck past my firewall. Swell.

And yesterday my computer spontaneously shut down. Four times. Today it's done it thrice, but opposite of yesterday I was able to finish a full virus scan; still not finding anything that really shouldn't be there.

I've read around a bit, and seen that a possible problem may be overheating? But I don't really get how that could be, as my computer is sitting on my desk, and not at all overworking itself.

Does anyone have any idea what's the matter with my beloved computer? 'Cause I don't. I'm completely clueless when it comes to these things, and would really appreciate a little help ><

Hi and welcome to techspot. =)

I highly suspect your system is infected with some other nasties that your antivirus failed to detect.

Please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps to cleaning your computer to see if it helps your problem.
Take your time and follow all the instructions exactly.

PS: I'll PM a mod to check out your post and move it to the relevant forum asap.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

This thread is for the use of Oddities only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Oh, so sorry about posting in the wrong place. :/

I'm slightly confused now, but thank you so much for responding! I did suspect something about a virus :(
Now all that remains is removing it. Yeah. This'll be fun.

Thanks again though ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back