Sprint announces Vital, a $100 Android smartphone with some power

Dave LeClair

Right now, the Galaxy S 4 and HTC One are the two Android devices most buyers are running out to their local carrier and buying. In terms of pure power and features offered, it's difficult for any other phone to compete. Sprint is hoping to change that with the announcement of a carrier-branded phone called the Vital that is boasting some pretty serious specs, and is doing it in a package that only sells for $100 with a two-year contract.

The Vital comes with a 5-inch HD 1280 x 720 screen, which is much bigger than those typically found on budget devices. It also comes with a solid 13 megapixel rear-facing camera, and a 1MP front-facing lens.

In terms of technical specifications, the Vital has some pretty serious punch for a budget phone. It features Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean installed, a Qualcomm 1.5GHz dual-core processor, and 1GB RAM. It includes 8GB of internal storage out of the box, and the memory can be expanded by 64GB through a microSD card. Some other notable highlights include a moderately large 2500 mAh battery, 4G LTE, Bluetooth 4.0, and mobile hotspot functionality.

The device is being built by Chinese phone-maker ZTE, but it will carry the Sprint branding. Of course, the carrier already has Samsung and HTC flagship devices, so this just goes further to expand its Android offerings though both high-end phones from the aforementioned companies start at $200 with a new contract.

While this phone is unlikely to attract the hardcore Android fans who want the best of the best, for phone shoppers on a budget who are looking for a device with good specs and a large screen, Sprint's new Vital could be an option worth considering.

Permalink to story.

Thats a perfect resolution for that size phone. While my Droid 4's 540 x 960 (275 PPi) resolution has turned out to be much better then I expected, a solid 1366 X 768 or 1280 X 720 would be ideal for it.

Oh damn, it looks kinda like an Apple product if you squint and look at it from the right angle, time for another lawsuit from the Cupertino camp. Not a bad phone for the price, be interested to see some reviews when it starts getting around.

If it's only offered on contract then it's moot to me. If it wasn't then it could've been a decent alternative to these other uber expensive things.

While this phone is unlikely to attract the hardcore Android fans who want the best of the best, for phone shoppers on a budget who are looking for a device with good specs and a large screen, and who have no idea how God-awful Sprint's network is, the new Vital could be an option worth considering.

Fixed.

T-Mobile and Wamart is currently selling Nokia's Lumia 521.
It also has all the bells and whistles:
- Blazing fast WiFi browsing
- SD Card
- 5MP camera
- Sensitive Screen (useable with gloves)
- built in GPS/Mapping/Drive)
- WiFi Calling app
- removable battery
- swappable SIM card
- swappable back shell (different colors)

It runs Windows Phone 8 and get this... it costs ONLY $129 OFF CONTRACT!!!!

Phones are getting to big for a woman's pockets. I thought that this was funny or a joke until I had a discussion with the ladies around my house and found that newer phones do not fit in their pockets. They're so large that when sitting down new phones might fall out.

Meanwhile I fit an entire DVD, case and all, into my Manly pants pocket and told them, "function over fashion." They only sneered at me.

Phones are getting to big for a woman's pockets. I thought that this was funny or a joke until I had a discussion with the ladies around my house and found that newer phones do not fit in their pockets. They're so large that when sitting down new phones might fall out.

Meanwhile I fit an entire DVD, case and all, into my Manly pants pocket and told them, "function over fashion." They only sneered at me.

My wife won't even carry keys in her pockets! Sounds like your women are more practical than some :)

Back