Spyware Guard / Spywareblaster Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubes

Being quite pro-active with PC Security I am considering installing 'Spyware Guard' and 'Spywareblaster'.

I already have Norton Anti-Virus / Firewall , AdAware and Spybot and was wondering if I would benefit from having these other programs.

Also, would Spyware Guard or SpywareBlaster possibly conflict with my Norton software?

Thanks

Originally posted by tubes
Being quite pro-active with PC Security I am considering installing 'Spyware Guard' and 'Spywareblaster'.

I already have Norton Anti-Virus / Firewall , AdAware and Spybot and was wondering if I would benefit from having these other programs.

Also, would Spyware Guard or SpywareBlaster possibly conflict with my Norton software?

Thanks

Nope, wont interfere at all.
I run win xp and use spywareblaster also, works perfect. :)

It shouldn't be a problem to run them all, but it seems to me someone is a little paranoid? Just my opinion though, I'm sure you have reasons for doing so.

Not really paranoid its just that there seems to be alot of hype around at the moment with regard to spyware / viruses / trojans etc etc.

Alot of people who have posted on forums relating to these threats seem to be running ALL the programs listed in my original post.

So I thought I might follow suit. Surely it is better to be over protected than under protected?

Spybot, Adaware, and Hijackthis are about the only really good programs out there. You'll be fine with those three.

(Along with a virus scanner and firewall)

Originally posted by tubes

Thanks

I run the same exact setup as you, except I don't use Spyware Gaurd.

I use SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, & Spybot S &D. You don't need Ad-Aware with those installed, it's redundant. Besides Spybot is better, in my opinion. All three together block most spyware, you'll rarely have to scan for it with Spybot. Just keep everything up to date, and Immunize.

As it has been stated many times before, the best solution to keeping that crap out of your computer is to use your head and be careful what you open and run.
If you don't know who it is from, don't open it. Simple as that.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
As it has been stated many times before, the best solution to keeping that crap out of your computer is to use your head and be careful what you open and run.
If you don't know who it is from, don't open it. Simple as that.

Yes, true. But still, it's not only that. I'm very strict about what sites my computer sees and what it does, and I follow what you just said there, but every week or so I scan and I've got a good ammount of spyware.

That's wierd, but I know sometimes it is form cookies and such.
Oh well, looks like there is no way to get around that then :(

Originally posted by poertner_1274
That's wierd, but I know sometimes it is form cookies and such.
Oh well, looks like there is no way to get around that then :(

Ah, but there is. In Internet Explorer 6, go to Internet Options, click the Privacy tab and click the Advanced button. Set it to accept First Party Cookies, check the "Always allow session cookies" box, and set Third Party Cookies to block. Apply, and Ok. Banner ads and pop-ups will never be able to set cookies on your system, only the pages that you intend to go to will. This will not interfere with browsing, the friendly cookies will be set as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back