SSD isn't cooperative with my HDD

Nivagely

Hi, I have a kinda of a big problem with my Storage at the moment. In order to explain better I'm going to have to go a bit further back before the problem.

Now I recently rebuilt a PC from my old one. New Case (Storm Stryker), New Motherboard (Asus Sabertooth Z77), Same GPU (680), New PSU (750 Corsair Modular Gold, Same HDD New SSD (intel 60gb)

Now what I was originally was going to do was Boot Windows 7 64 bit from SSD, and use my HDD as my primary Storage, All went smoothly so far, SSd booted Windows, but now due to lack of research I became stumped, I only wanted the SSD to boot Windows 7 and that was it, But when ever I tried accessing lets say steam for instance from the HDD It would not work, kept crashing, After a lot of work, I managed to use Regedit within the SSD to start all Programmes from the HDD, this didn't work entirely, It was very buggy, requiring a few restart of programs and ECT,

I managed to get Programs like VLC to work, and could play movies from the other HDD, however a lot of other programmes were still etchy and clunky.

Now this is where I'll become the local fool. I decided that I would just use the SSD as a backup Windows 7 Boot, incase things go wrong, However when I tried booting my Old HDD,
It wouldn't boot and kept getting lovely blue colourful screens,

Now due to a bit of bad luck, I tried reinstalling Windows 7 on the HDD and sadly it crashed in the final stages of installation( Damn You Microsoft), So I did the same standard thing but this time The MoBo UEFI Trolled me. Badly, It decided that The CD/DVD boot should become two different Boots, and it changed the priority to UEFI CD/DVD (Take note I just simply did not know it had done this) And when I tried reinstalling windows 7 onto the HDD the CD/DVD boot decided It didn't want to because they were MBT and not GBT.

Struggled at this for hours, trying usb installation and such, In short I formatted the drive. Discovered why it wouldn't Reinstalled, Cursed at the Mobo for hours upon hours.

Now with all this now known to me, I wanted to know if I could 'Easily use the SSD for solely booting Windows 7, and have the other HDD become the primary drive of sorts, and use the programmes and apps without having to cry myself to sleep while cursing about the damn UEFI For the pain it has caused >.>

Personally I'd just format everything and start from scratch. No chances of weirdness happening.

Well as of now, I got Windows 7 on my HDD now, I just hate the fact the Motherboard decided to let me use the Proper boot first time around, then realised 'Oh wait, wouldn't it be funny if I switched priority with my junk to annoy him! :D' >.> My SSD Windows 7 is now very buggy, due to a few reg edits, so I'm going to have to reinstall back onto that :(, and the mountain of updates are just killer. All I wanted was to use the SSD for booting Windows 7 only :(

I agree with Stickman, you should back up your data then format both the SSD and HDD and start over.

As for actually using your two hard drives, with SSD as boot... it's been discussed somewhere else before but anyway..:

Two options generally:
1. Regedit hack (as you know) to force stuff to install to the HDD.
2. Leave everything normal, create Program File folders on HDD, and merely change the install path on separate pieces of software whilst installing. E.g. just change the C to a X, bam, done.

As for actually using your two hard drives, with SSD as boot... it's been discussed somewhere else before but anyway..:

Two options generally:
1. Regedit hack (as you know) to force stuff to install to the HDD.
2. Leave everything normal, create Program File folders on HDD, and merely change the install path on separate pieces of software whilst installing. E.g. just change the C to a X, bam, done.

Ahh I see, as for the Regedit stuff, I'm just not going to do all that again, since It wasn't that stable to begin with.

As for the other option, I might try that, I mean it can't be as messy as the Regedit, though for the moment I've decided to use the SSd as a backup boot in case things go wrong again, thanks for the info!

I use the second method mysef. It works fine. Big bloaty program that I won't use very often? Just change one letter in the install path. :)

Yeah I see what you mean, Since I ended up formatting the HDD anyway and have to reinstall everything, I can just change the install Path to the Old free'd up HDD, Works a charm aswell! Just have to find the will to use all my bandwidth to download everything again!

Back