Standalone DVD player bought in Belgium used in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToRN

A friend of mine just bought himself a standalone DVD player. ON the continent, this player works perfect.

However, when using it with an English TV (s-video, scart, composite) the image is scrambled. But, when fast forwarding (2x-8x) the image is perfect and when the image is paused, it's perfect too.

Anyone a reason why and maybe a solution?

Is the DVD player PAL (as opposed to SECAM)? Tried using another british TV?

It does sound very weird. What DVDs has he tried?

Different scart?

He already tried on different TV's and yes the player is both Pal and NTSC, not SECAM (used in France, not in Belgium).

What are the specs of the britisch standards?

Apologies, I thought SECAM covered Belgium as well. It doesn't sound too likely that its going to be regional, as usually NTSC playback on PAL just gives a black and white image.

I have a problem using my American imported GeForce 2's S-Video out on PAL televiisons, the output is garbled, even when set to PAL. Sounds similar to this situation. British PAL is version "I", as opposed to "M" as used in Belgium (I believe). Although this shouldn't really matter as both have basically the same specifications.

You can find all the technical specifications you should need here: http://www.alkenmrs.com/video/standards.html

NTSC

SYSTEM NTSC M
Lines/Field 525/60
Horizantal Frequency 15.734 kHz
Vertical Frequency 60 Hz
Colour Subcarrier Frequency 3.579545 mHz
Video Bandwidth 4.2 mHz
Sound Carrier 4.5 mHz

PAL

SYSTEM PAL B,G,H PAL I PAL D PAL N PAL M
Line/Field 625/50 625/50 625/50 625/50 525/60
Horizontal Frequency 15.625 kHz 15.625 kHz 15.625 kHz 15.625 kHz 15.750 kHz
Vertical Frequency 50 Hz 50 Hz 50 Hz 50 Hz 60 Hz
Colour Sub Carrier Frequency 4.433618 MHz 4.433618 MHz 4.433618 MHz 3.582056 MHz 3.575611 MHz
Video Bandwidth 5.0 MHz 5.5 MHz 6.0 MHz 4.2 MHz 4.2 MHz
Sound Carrier 5.5 MHz 6.0 MHz 6.5 MHz 4.5 MHz 4.5 MHz

This is the info I was looking for. Knowing that you have the same prob with your GF2 s-video, I guess indeed that there must be a slight difference between the standards.

Anyway, it's funny that the image is perfect when the image is still or when it is FF or FR. What is the factor that causes the problem when moving at 25 FPS and not when moveing at another FPS? If you find anything else, give me a post (was going to say a ring, but yeah, I know, ...). Tnx already anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back