Start Menu & Desktop Icons Disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I am new to this forum and hope someone can help me. I am running Windows XP Media. I did have McAfee Antivirus which was useless. I had various infections and trojans. Researched and found Spyware Doctor. Bought that spyware program with antivirus, downloaded it, ran it, and it removed everything that was wrong!!!! Great right? Well, when I restarted the computer the next day, all my desktop icons were gone, the bottom tray--gone, the start menu--gone. All I have is the plain desktop. I can't get into anything in my computer or online without going into task manager. Went back and forth with Spyware Dr and McAfee for advice. Spyware Dr said the 2 antivirus programs were conflicting, and I had to remove one. I went through hell trying to get to my control panel, which I never could find, but did end up getting into Add/Remove Programs. Went through that, removed McAfee completely (including their additional instructions beside add/remove). Restarted computer several times, still no luck. No start menu, no icons, nothing. I've gone into safe mode a multitude of times, and can't do it that way either.----Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or failing to do? I am no computer genius, but I'm pretty much self-taught and can get by with a little instruction. Thanks much! Signed, "Frustrated over 1 month now"
:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back