Start -> Run... "C:\" opening a Command prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jreedar

Some how I've got my registry messed up. Now when I do 'Start' -> 'Run...' and enter 'C:\' instead of opening windows explorer at the C:\ drive it opens a DOS prompt at the that C:\ drive. I know this must be causeed by the 'DosHere' option over riding standard behavior, however if at Start' -> 'Run...' I enter a drive letter and a path like 'C:\code' then it does correctly open windows explorer at that location.

Not a huge issue but I'd like to get it back to working as before.

I feel like it might be related to this registry key section: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

Thanks,
Neal

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\find\command
Should be:
%SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe

Not sure if that's it though

Edit:

I've changed my mind. Pretty sure it's here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths
Look for an entry called cmdc and remove it (probably right click ->Export first, as a backup)

Then try Start->Run-> C: again

Thanks!

Thanks kimsland, I checked HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths and there wasn't a cmdc to remove. So next I checked HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\find\command and it was also correctly set at %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe

I then decided to compare the entire HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive tree with my XP pro work laptop, I found some differences and just exported the entire section and merged it with my desktop's registry to get them in sync and that fixed me!

Just wanted to post my fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back