Startup Repair continuously comes up on Windows 7 Dell Inspiron laptop (virus?)

sjuhatten10

A couple weeks ago I reuploaded Windows 7 to my Dell Inspiron laptop as I was unable to log in. Everytime I rebooted the computer it would send me to Startup Repair and then state "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically." Once I uploaded the Windows 7 software the computer seemed to work fine temporarily.

Now just yesterday I started experiencing the same problem, which leads me to believe i have some sort of virus. I understand the initial 5 steps I have to perform as suggested by the sticky post on the forum. However, would you suggest that I try to re-install windows first or should i just try and complete as many steps as possible with the way my laptop is right now?

This is because I am having trouble even getting the computer into Safe Boot.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it.

I suggest you reinstall Windows since you don't have anything important there.

I'm going to have you thread moved to a more appropriate forum. If they help stabilize the system and think you may also have malware, you will be referred back here.

Stay subscribed.

I re-installed Windows 7 on my laptop. As I stated above, the last time I did this my laptop worked fine for a couple of days and then I experienced the same Startup Repair issues. I made sure I deleted all previous files.

Are there any initial tests I can run to ensure that my computer is running smoothly? The only additional program that I installed was Microsoft Office 2007.

Again thanks for your help.

I re-installed Windows 7 on my laptop. As I stated above, the last time I did this my laptop worked fine for a couple of days and then I experienced the same Startup Repair issues. I made sure I deleted all previous files.

Are there any initial tests I can run to ensure that my computer is running smoothly? The only additional program that I installed was Microsoft Office 2007.

Again thanks for your help.

Yes.

If you can get into Windows, run Seatools. Long Drive Self Test.

Also (doesn't require windows) make a boot cd or usb stick of memtest and run that overnight (longer if possible ( 7 passes is standard, but really if you don't fail after 1 you are ok unless you are chasing down very intermittent problems)).

Back