Static shock on the computer?

aznbennet

TS Rookie
Ok so i opened the computer case with motherboard and everything installed when i touched the computer case *left side* i had a static shock and now it wont turn on!
so my question is which part of the computer does the static shock damage? is it the motherboard?

also does bad ram memory cause black screen when bootup?

Reply Route44: no i didnt touch the motherboard directly i touched the left side of the computer case and now it wont turn on...
 

Route44

TechSpot Ambassador
Bad memory can cause all kinds of issues but static electricity can literally fry a motherboard. Weird I know but true. However, the whole idea of touching the case is to ground yourself so that those static charges don't affect your board.

Is this a new build? Did you touch the board directly?