Stock computer looses video

I have a pentium 4 2GB processor with a stock video card. The screen went blank and I pulled the video card to look at it. The screen is a year old and I am using the DVI port. I plugged my old monitor into its VGA slot and still nothing. So, I bought a new video card the exact same as the one I have that isn't working. Still nothing from both the DVI port and VGA port. I can't see the screen at all. I recently put new memory stick in it, but it worked just the same before/after install..... What now? Its old but trusty and I don't want to stick a small fortune in it.

I plugged both monitors into this laptop and they both work fine. As soon as I plug it into the desktop, nothing. I am puzzled. How am I supposed to download something on a computer I can't see anything with? Or am I supposed to download it to this computer and then put it into a flash drive and maybe it fixes itself? I hope that the motherboard didn't stop sending signal to the video card. The heat sink gets warm like its on, but still no signal at all. None.... I really don't want to buy a new computer, is there a motherboard only option that is a stock replacement for the one I have now? Its a pentium 4 2GB processor. A gateway. Running Windows Xp SP2. I haven't tried putting in the windows CD, but I don't think that is going to do anything different. Thanks for the help guys!

What's the model of this Gateway? I'm guessing the video output is only thru a video card and it doesn't have build in graphics? What slot does the video card go in AGP or PCI-e? If it's PCI-e, is there another PCI-e slot you can insert the video card into?

The desktop does turn on, right? Did it beep? If the computer has a build-in speaker, and there's a faulty component, it will sound a certain number of beeps to indicate the problem. I'm thinking perhaps the power supply should be checked out as well.

i know its not a PCI slot. i would have tried that. Um, I don't know off hand which model it is. Yea it boots fine and whenever its had a problem it has beeped at me. It sounds like it actually will load all the way to the home screen like there is no problem at all. Do they make a video card that goes into a PCI slot? maybe the AGP slot or whatever went bad? It has a monitor port from the motherboard but it uses a male VGA plug, and I only have a female.

Male VGA output on the back? I haven't seen this setup before. This has 3 rows of 5 pins? Not two rows w/ 5 pins on top and 4 on the bottom?

Do they make a video card that goes into a PCI slot?

Apparently these are still being sold. I didn't realize that. About $40 at Newegg. If the AGP slot has failed, it might not be long for something else to fail.

I don't know what your budget is, if it's really limited, perhaps try to look for a replacement motherboard? Your P4 2 GHz desktop, probably 6-7 years old? I don't think a replacement board would cost that much.

Just did a quick search for P4 2GHz motherboard for Gateway, about $30 on eBay.

it is a gateway 700s from 2001. I know its old but its so fast! I just use it for surfing the web and checking my email. I was looking at base computers, the ones that are just basic, not for gaming or any of that crap and they are kind of cheap. A little too cheap, is there a catch to one of those?

The cheap ones probably doesn't include monitor. Have a look at Techspot's PC buying guide: https://www.techspot.com/guides/buying/

For what you do, there's nothing wrong w/ the basic models. They typically will have a smaller wattage power supply, but since you probably won't be upgrading the video card, you won't have to worry about that.

It's possible that the motherboard of the new PC won't have an IDE connection. So you'll need to get an IDE to USB adapter to connect your existing hard drives to the new computer to transfer your data. Or have both computers on the same network & transfer files that way.

If you get a PC w/ the 64 bit version of Win7, make sure you have 64-bit drivers for your peripherals.

Back