Stolen ID SEARCH

Status
Not open for further replies.
howard_hopkinso said:
It`s a scam.

DO NOT ENTER ANY DETAILS INTO THE ABOVE SITE.

Regards Howard :)

Sorry, guess I should have mentioned that in my first post. Just thought it was and interesting idea.

Yeah, no kidding. I saw that link on "lifehacker", but did not read the article at first. You do have to give the guys who made this site credit, it is well done. A cheap scam, but it looks nice ;)

TrustedID -- response to StolenID Search

Hello Everyone,

In the past few days, we’ve seen thousands of people make comments about our StolenID Search service. We appreciate everyone who sees value in the service as well as those who have questions.

We feel that it makes good sense to help address all these questions in one common forum. Please visit our TrustedID blog (link below), as a venue to find answers to your questions/concerns related to our new service.
http://blog.trustedid.com/?p=311

Thanks,
Scott Mitic
CEO, TrustedID

Taken from HERE.

However, security analysts have criticized the service, claiming by making it accessible to anyone it could actually assist criminal activity.

"They can make a terrible problem worse if they freely disseminate information to anyone who asks for it without properly vetting the requestor’s identity," Gartner analyst Avivah Litan warned.

In short I don`t think it`s a good idea and I definitely wouldn`t trust your website. You must be able to see why people think it`s a scam? Even if it is all above board and legit, there`s no way for any one to know for sure.

Regards Howard :cool:

heck; I'm so paranoid, I will not even enter data that should be protected, eg
Norton Privacy Protection -- If you enter it, it's recorded somewhere and then -- they can get to it too. A real dumb idea (imo).

Still, even if it is legitimate, somewhere in a server log file, probably, if nowhere else, your SSN that you typed in will still be. And if people can access that, it looks like a good way to have your ID stolen. No offense, TrustedID; I'm just saying this the way I see it.

kitty500cat said:
Still, even if it is legitimate, somewhere in a server log file, probably, if nowhere else, your SSN that you typed in will still be. And if people can access that, it looks like a good way to have your ID stolen. No offense, TrustedID; I'm just saying this the way I see it.

Yep. Even if they are legit, I don't think I'd go for it.

What if someone hacks their servers? The people are...um...screwed

cfitzarl said:
What if someone hacks their servers? The people are...um...screwed

And it surprises me that in this day and age, that IF the site IS legit. Why would they ask for SSN? They should know that there are more secure ways to obtain any needed information.

This though occurred to me though: if they can tell whether or not your ID was stolen by your social security number, they would have to have some other information on you that they could link to your SSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back