Stop Error 0x00000024

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Compaq Presario SR1639. It's pre-loaded with XP Home Edition, I have no XP disks.

The pc was shutdown after the system hung and and then re-started and now won't load Windows.

I am unable to boot the system either from

a) Normal startup
b) Last trusted config
c) safe mode

Starting from a) and b) dispalys a BSOD which disappears too quickly to read the details and then starts the boot cycle again.

Booting from c) displays the drivers being loaded to the screen. It gets as far as iomdisk.sys before pausing and restarting the boot cycle (no BSOD is displayed).

Using the Windows recovery option I just get a BSOD again but his time I am able to read it ..

Stop 0x00000024 (0x001902F8,0x,0x86759A00, 0xC0000102,0x00000000)

I have not yet tried running the built in Compaq system recovery option as I'm suspicious that this is going to start a destructive restore and reformat the hard disk - I'm investigating that option separately.

I've checked out a few similar messages on this forum with the same error and following some suggestions in these threads have downloaded a copy of the Ulimate Boot Disk and burned a boot CD.

The PC boots from the boot CD but then I'm stuck. The disk diagostics I've tried running from the boot disk can't see any hard disk on the PC. I've tried running chkdsk from within one of the DOS apps on the disk but again the only drives available are the ones created by UBD and the built in recovery partition.

Am I missing something obvious or just being dumb?

Hope someone out there can help me.

Thanks in advance

Zenosincks said:
Try slaving the drive in another system and running CHKDSK from there.

Nice suggestion but unfortunately I don't have access to a suitable system to try that. The only other PC I have access to is an old Win 98 model that just about copes with IE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back