Stop Error Crql_not_less_or_equal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bquigley

I have learned so much in the past few minutes reading the few previous threads re this CRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL stop error.
My computer will not shut down, but restarts itself after displaying this blue screen error.
I downloaded Memtest per one of these threads, and after 50 some hours it is still running! Good news is that so far it has found no errors. How long should this take? I have 2 Gig DDR memory.
My Computer is a Pentium 4, 3.06 running Windows XP Professional.
I have made no recent hardware changes. I had started receiving "Time Executable" errors, however, which I think is related to my Lexmark printer that I had just started to diagose and fix.
After this Memtest finally finishes and I have access to my computer again, how do I find and post my "dump" file? I will also try to remove each of my 2 memory sticks one at a time, but I don't really think it's memory related.
Any and all help would be so much apprciated!
Thanks,
Barbara

Oh thank goodness! I will do that tonight, and report the results.
Thanks for the quick response!

That error, by which I assume you mean IRQL Not Less or Equal, instead of CRGL Not Less or Equal, is usually one of these three, in this order:
Driver is defective or corrupted in some way.
Video card has gone bad
Memory has gone bad.
Since you have tested the memory, that is likely not the problem.
For driver, go to the manufacturers site for the video graphics you have, then download their drivers instead of those from the manufacturer of your computer. This is usually a good fix.
I would also try a different video card, if you can borrow one.

Error is definitely CRQL (not IRQL or CRGL).
I had seen the same suggestion in an old 2004 post, so just to be sure wrote it down about 50 errors ago and confirmed that it is indeed CRQL.
I did upgrade my video card a couple of months ago. Could it take that long for Windows to decide it doesn't like it? It's a good ATI card; upgraded from nVidia.
Thanks for the suggestion. I plan to check for BIOS updates and will also look for video card updates now that I know I can stop this Memtest and get my computer back.
Barbara

I've also seen some reports of this CRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL on the web at various forums, most of them not in english. It seems to be very rare and I'm not sure what this error is exactly as I can't find any legit M$ sources on it.

In German and French, it comes out as CRQL Not Less or Equal, but it means exactly the same thing as IRQL, according to Microsoft's knowledge base.

I wish I had known that, as I did see several pages about this IRQL when I was searching the past few days for CRQL.
Does this mean that my computer is German or French? Or the device driver causing these problems is? I bought it in Canada; manufactured in the States, English copy of Windows XP Professional.
Now I'm even more confused....lol

I found the latest minidump, but cannot find a program to open it. Even Microsoft says it doesn't have a program, and this must be a Windows file, isn't it?
I'm attaching the file, hoping somebody will know how to open it and let me know what the problem is.
Thanks!

That dump's crashed at sonypvl3.sys. Do a search on your system to find out what it belongs to and then look for an update.

BugCheck A, {b0, 2, 0, 804ee24b}
Probably caused by : sonypvl3.sys ( sonypvl3+223c )
Image name: sonypvl3.sys Timestamp: Wed Sep 22 10:55:37 2004 (4150E9A9)

Thank you so much!
The only thing Sony I can think of is my CD-Rom. Maybe my DVD Recorder. Will investigate; thanks!
Out of curiosity, how did you open that dump file? I was shocked to see how many of those dump files I have. This just started April 5th, and then I was away for the long weekend then back at it Sunday night, but I still must have 100 of them trying to figure this thing out. Good news is that my computer still works fine...it just won't shut down.
If I didn't have so much on it I would just reformat and start all over, but I'm really hoping not to have to do that.
Thanks again for all your help. I love this TechSpot!

Barbara

I believe that is a sony DVD handycam camcorder driver, but it could also relate to the DVD recorder, though I doubt it very much unless maybe it's an external USB one. If you don't have the camera yourself remove the driver from add/remove programs in the control panel, or if you do own this camera and want to use it, try removng the old drivers, as above, and getting an updated driver from sony.

Wow, I am shocked. I do have a Sony Handycam DVD Camcorder, but I installed the software for that in November 2005 when I bought it, and haven't plugged it in since! It was easier to just remove the DVD and pop it into my DVD-Rom.
I had problems with the Sony software when I first installed it, and support from Sony was non-existant, so I have no problem uninstalling it completely.
I will report back tonight if this solves my problems.
What would make it suddenly act up now? I can't even tell you if I've updated Windows XP lately, as I have mine set to automatically download and install the updates.
Thank you!

Barbara

Success!

Thank you so much for all your help and suggestions. I uninstalled my Sony DVD Camcorder drivers, and for the first time in a week was able to shut down my computer.
I had run Memtest, updated my BIOS, updated my ATI video card drivers, but nothing worked until you were able to identify the Sony camera drivers as the culprit. That would have been one of my very last guesses, as that same driver has been installed for a year and a half with no error messages. I'm guessing something I recently updated either corrupted the file or was in conflict with it?
In any event, I could not have done it without all your help.
As a side, after that was done I got rid of my original problem. I received a "Time Executable" error every single time I printed anything. It was a Lexmark problem, but Lexmark had no updated drivers. I simply uninstalled my printer and reinstalled it. Wish everything was that easy....
Thanks again!

Barbara

cannot remove sony drivers

Hi, I have the exact same problem when shutting down my PC running windows Vista. It started right after I tried to install my Sony Camcorder drivers.

I have tried to remove the program but no joy, when hitting uninstall/change in my program manager I get an error: "USB driver cannot be installed in the current version of windows". Bit odd considering it is listed as an installed program already.

Can anyone advise how I might remove this program permanently?

Thanks very much.

Try add/remove programs from control panel instead of trying to uninstall it from the icon in the start menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back