STOP errors --- Is this computer ready to die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clueless78

I am having some nasty problems with this computer. I am constantly getting blue screens with all kinds of STOP errors….that is, when I’m actually lucky enough to boot to the desktop.

Here are several STOP errors I have gotten:

1. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000A

2. STOP: 0x0000008E (I get these a lot)

3. PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
STOP: 0x00000050

4. CONFIG_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
STOP: 0x00000067

I have run “MEMTEST86”, and there were 2 or 3 ram modules that are supposedly faulty. So, I removed them and kept the good ram stick installed. There is still no difference in the errors…I have formatted and installed Windows XP 3 times and still no difference…I have even run a compatibility test (from the XP Pro SP2 installation disc) and there are no incompatibilities.

Here are the computer specs:
Windows XP Pro SP2
AMD ATHLON 950 MHz
ASUS K7V Motherboard
PC133 256MB RAM (used to be 576MB)
ATI 9200 SE video card
40 GB Samsung Hard Drive
300 Watt 10amp Macron power Supply

Any ideas what I could do about these problems? (besides buying a new computer) :p

P.S. Before all these problems started, I was having different problems. The computer would freeze occasionally, and sometimes the monitor would turn off while the computer was still running… almost like it was going to standby, but the computer was still on and functioning, but the monitor would be off with its light blinking.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I reseated the processor and I don't get those STOP errors anymore.

However, the computer sometimes freezes and the monitor turns off. According to memtest86, all 3 of my memory sticks are faulty. Anyone know how 3 memormy sticks could all the sudden become faulty at the same time ?

tpfagan said:
Has this computer always been like this (newly built) or did it run stable for a period of time?

I very much doubt it, if you read the first post its an amd athlon 950mhz!!!!

It's a fairly old computer. It used to run windows xp (with no service packs) very solid. Then it got a bad virus and we decided to format/install Xp with SP2. Since that format, these problems have happened. It passed the compatibility test with SP2, and we have reinstalled windows 3 times now... so i'm not sure why all the ram would be suddenly faulty, or even the mobo for that matter.

The computer runs good, minus the freezing and the monitor turning off. Memtest86 says the ram is no good, so I guess I have to take its word? Or the mobo is bad...?

I believe its the mobo that is faulty!!!! As you say, it is old!!!!

There are a multitude of reasons why a mobo can suddenly go bad, power surge, static electricity, heat, cold, humidity, component ageing..... the list goes on!!!!!

I'd have to agree - I think your mobo is on it's way out. I just had another machine exbiting similar problems die.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62693.html

It was stable for a long time then started freezing up and blue screening.

I'm not sure where your gonna find another slot a motherboard, but know you can pick up a socket a mobo and Socket a athlon for under $100 US if your just looking to not so much upgrade but side step.

Good Luck.

tpfagan, i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to AMDs. Is there a difference between a "Slot A motherboard" and a "Socket A Motherboard"?

Reason why I ask is, I found a "Socket A motherboard" I can purchase new for 40 bucks. This motherboard I have now is a "Slot A".

There's a big difference between them, they both take different processors!!!!

Slot A is, well, a slot and the processor sits at 90 degrees to the mobo!!!!

Socket A is also known as socket 462 (if i remember correctly) and the processor sits flat tot he mobo!!!!

rik is correct.

Aside from one being on a card that fits in a slot on the mother board and the other physically residing in a socket on the motherboard - they are the same. That being said, you cannot take the processor off a slot A and put it in a socket a motherboard.

Intel did the same thing (slots) with the first PIII and celeron chips.

I don't have high expectations that you will be able to reuse that processor.

The challenge you are going to have is that if you want to "recycle" the equipment you have in your current failing machine, you gonna have a hard time finding a Slot A MB that supports SDRAM. There are still a few Socket A MB that support SDRAM around but are fading fast.

Check out pricewatch.com to research your options.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back