STOP Registry Error (and more) minidumps included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright well recent problems are occuring on my 7 month old Dell laptop running Window's XP (media center edition). Various stop errors (predominatly 0x0051 Registry Error) are occuring after the recent march windows update (where my comp went into hibernate, during the update then restarted). I went through uninstalling new software thinking that this recent chinise game i was playing made an unreadable chinise key or something (Common language something or other gave me a warning). And tried a system restore. No effect. (now system retore no longer works even from safemode)

re updating windows didnt work either as a blue screen arose in the restart process)

Now after a restart i get varying errors including
ATI Catalyst Control center - (you dont have authorization to make changes)
svchost - could not write to memory at location (0xxxxx xxxx)
And my computer says the registry had to be restored from a back up or log file.
(Also i got an object pointer error once, saying an object pointer was not pointing to an object, afterwhich every running program simultaneously died and the system hung, that one was fun)

The main problem is that registry cleaners and regedit are not working (normally or in safemode). Any time any software (cc cleaner, PConPoint, Reg Mechanic even ad-aware) even looks at the damaged region i get a stop error and have to restart. Similarily i cant export from regedit or even open (to look at)the first folder in the registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Internet browsers sometime prick the particular registry region too and die.

I dunno if you guys can provide any feedback from the minidumps, I am guessing i will need a reinstall of windows, or a full format, only problem is my Discs are in another province, and finals are around the corner. Im typign this from a public computer.

Well thanks in advance if for no other reason than that you read the preceding essay i just wrote.

edit** I forgot.. i also installed a windows utility used to fix Hive Errors caused by user registry problems (where memory wasnt freed at log off).. this would cause an error coded 1571 in event viewer which i had and that has since been fixed

thanks for the reply.
But i can't even view the registry tree to determine which keys are not working. Simply trying to access them causes a stop error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back