Straight SSD swap and nothing more thanks for the fish

I had this problem on my laptop earlier and it was corrected when I noticed the ram hadn't fully clipped in. Not this time on my deskptop with all still pluged in when turned off, I just swapped the m.2 ssd and had just ran one new preinstalled with win 11, but now I get no signal, all power, but no lights on the usb wifi unit. I think It may be related to running the same Win key on two systems both which were upgraded to win 11 home, because the second one on the laptop couldn't download anything, Edge wasn't installed and wasn't able to be downloaded. I back installed Win 10 on the new Gen 4 980 Pro and poped it on my desktop to find it partly dead, well lit and fans running, but no glory.

I forgot to ask a qu. Afterall, trying cmos reset, I got nothing... is it obviously a short of the cpu? It's aged, but a new motherboard. Could it be the 1660 GPU?

Fyi, it was really stubborn, and required two full cmos resets to factory settings. The Gigabyte B450M S2H just wouldn't take the Gen 4 preloaded win 10, despite having had it already with Win 11, and even the original Gen 3 win 10. I rolled back to a new Win 10 package on a Gen 3, and only with a clean install. May have been able to clean install the Gen 4 for 500GB extra too, but didnt try it. The CMOS button had alluded me, camouflaged in black on black.

This has nothing to do with your problem. Sorrty.

But, I never buy anything but Samsung SSDs, because their cloning software works spectacularly well, cloning the original drive. You just install the new SSD, install the software, and 15 minutes or so later, you're done. I realize you may not have a 2nd SATA port on your laptop, which absolutely complicates things exponentially.

If you want to screw around with different versions of Windows, while making the swap, then issues are almost certain to arise.

I have no idea why people want to rush toward Windows 11. But,
I'm a Luddite that believes, "if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

BTW, many laptops are supplied with "restore discs", not actual copies of Windows. OEM installs, are actually only allowed from an image, and not a Windows disc. Is that potentially a problem you're having? I think you would have to reinstall Win 10, and then use "windows upgrade anytime", to move to 11. And that's assuming the BIOS would allow it.

Last edited:
Back