Strange Monitor Resolution Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost5831

Rite, basically I have an LG Flatron 194WT(19" widescreen) using a DVi-D cable to a single BFG 8800GTS OC (550Mhz core, 320mb GDDR3 etc)

.....sounds pretty normal rite? But no! I have a strange issue where the 8800 is outputting a resolution of 1440x900 BUT the screen is displaying 1280x1024!!(found by bringing up the OSD) meaning the screen is all blurred and horrible...even when I change to a lower res (screen isnt supposed to be able to do 1280x1024) the screen still ses "1280x1024":S

wat on earth!

And yes ive updated the drivers for both items, rolled them back, uninstalled them the works....The screen is definately capable of 1440x 900 cos I used to run tht on my old 6600GT....can anyone help?

Yeah, thats strange. Did you replaced your current monitor with an another one?
Just for testing, to see which component is broken: your video card or your monitor. In this way, you should gather more info and you'll know for sure what to do next.

Also you can do this: right click on your "desktop", "proprieties", "setting" tab, "advanced", "general" tab and there you can change your DPI setting, because you have a pretty big monitor. also you can go to "monitor" tab and change the "screen refresh rate".

Good luck

http://www.lge.com/products/sidemenu/detail/l194wt_PRD|MNL_manual|list.jhtml

No, I havnt got another DVI widescreen monitor to test with (easily), what I have tried tho is using the analogue input on the screen (God bless LG) and used a converter to put it into one of the Dvi slots

this worked although was very annoying cos I had to hit the "auto Adjust" button every time I loaded an App etc as the screen would jump sometimes inches out of position...and thats why I dont wanna keep it that way

p.s am checking out that posted Link but my either the LG download server sucks or my rate has been capped cos its downloading veeeery slowly.

*Update* I looked at tht link that was posted by CCT and it doesnt seem to work for me....I think I need to allow it thru my firewall but tht aint gonna happen just yet cos my Dad is a **** and has a password on it...

Also I moved my computer to a room where we have a 20.1" (4:3 :() and it worked perfectly...buuut thts not my screen so I cant have it! Neway its rely strange tht the monitor is reading "1280x1024" because its widescreen so shouldnt even think in 4:3!

Any more suggestions?

Bascically it just guides you through the OSD mode which you already accessed - did you try the Reset option for factory values?

O yes, many a time lol...basically that reset the position of my OSD (yay) :p

*Edit* im gonna try a complete reinstall of all the display drivers to see if I messed it up during setup...I did install the LG screen drivers which could have been a mistake

And the Resolution setting can't change the Resolution either?

edit: Tried Preferred also?

Played with the Preset ?

In the OSD there isnt a way of changing the resolution (if thts wat u mean), there is an indication of what its "displaying" (1280x1024 75Hz) but tht isnt or doesnt seem to be a selectable option *fishes out LG manual*

All those settings show at the LG site for the OSD interface - I linked through a search for your monitor - either LG is linking to the wrong OSD or I dunno bro!

"OSD mode
OSD mode allows for easy access to any of the of the monitor settings. The tabs across the top of the control panel list the general description of the controls within that tab. Selecting the the tab displays a list of menu items. Any tab and submenu item can be randomly accessed for quick tuning of the monitor.

Control Definition
Undo Restores the monitor value for the active control pane to its previous setting. If no change was made
to the current control pane, undo will have no affect.
Reset Restores the monitor value for the active control pane to its factory setting.
Pattern Select the Pattern button to view the adjustment image. Patterns automatically load in Wizard mode.
+/ - Increases or decreases the monitor value by one unit for the current control pane.
Slider Increases or decreases the monitor value by one unit for the current control pane.
? Access to Help file: opens Help file using the default browser window
Close box Closes forteManager.

Picture Tab Definition

Tracking (this sub menu will not be visible if you are using the digital connection of your graphics card and monitor) - Loads the Clock and Phase instruction pane with slider controls. Select the patterns button to load the adjustment image, then select Auto Setup to use the manufacturer recommended settings. If there still appears to be movement in the patterns use the Clock slider to reduce any noise on the screen. Next use the Phase slider to completely eliminate residual noise.
Brightness - Loads the Brightness instruction pane with slider control. Select the Pattern button to load the adjustment image then use the slider to tune the brightness.
Contrast - Adjusts the difference in brightness between the bright and dark areas on screen.
Position (this sub menu will not be visible if you are using the digital connection of your graphics card and monitor) - Adjusts the image position on the screen.
Resolution - Select the Preferred button to set the display to the manufacturer's recommended settings.
If your display is in any resolution over than Preferred the clarity of fonts and graphics will be compromised.
NOTE : The color calibration module requires the display to be set to the preferred resolution.
Wizard - Loads the Wizard instruction pane to activate Wizard mode.
Preset - Loads the Preset pane. The Preset can be called at any time or set to automatically load each time the computer is restarted."

edit: my error is that most GOOD settings aren't available in DVI - lol.

edit: have you tried unplugging it and letting it sit for a bit (no power no pc connection) to see if that will reset things?

Yeh thats all in that strange "forteManager" program u linked to earlier...my OSD is nothing to do with tht :| neway gimme 10mins to reinstall fresh drivers but this time im not gonna install the LG screen drivers from the disk but use the ones from microsoft (it mite work) lol

Buggy drivers!! before I installed nvidias latest version 158.22 the resolution is perfect but of corse u get all the problems of not having drivers :p RITE, nvidia, prepare to be rolled back!

*edit* O thts rite the service is unavailable!!!! (nvidia driver archive)....I wonder if my BFG drivers will do the trick

Watch your language in these forums.
--Mictlantecuhtli

I have a 22" Acer and never installed any Acer drivers - try Add/Removing that stuff and just use the BFG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back