Strange "shutdowns" with ASUS A7N8X Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a system as follows:

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (2.0)
AMD Athlon 2500+
MSI GeForce 5600 video card

The problem I have is this. Every so often, the system will sorta shut down. The monitor loses video signal and it's obvious something has shut down because it stops responding to any keypresses (e.g. it doesn't appear that *just* the video signal was lost). The fans and hard drive are all still spinning and the power light is still on, but I have to restart the system at this point.

Even more annoying is that if I hit the reset button, the system tries to reboot, but I don't get the system POST and the system is in the same state as when is crashed. If I turn off the power completely and let it sit for a few minutes, then it will start up just fine and will run without problem for a while before the cycle begins again.

Oddly enough, it didn't seem to happen quite as often this past week while I had the case cover off, but now it's doing it about every day since I put everything back to gether. So I suspect heat is somehow involved, but I'm not sure how. Asus Probe doesn't seem to indicate any problems with the temperatures.

I've cleaned out the case with compressed air, double checked all connections and made sure the cables are not interfering with airflow in the case, all to no avail.

This system has been running fine for a couple years now and only started acting up in the past few months. At this point, I'm not sure what to look at next. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
David

Hey Dave, we have had to RMA some of these boards for the same problem. No apparent problem we could find, we replaced and tested everything but kept happening until we just replaced the board. I know thats not the answer you want though. Have you contact Asus yet and asked them or checked their online support? Also has anything been changed recently or not. Could be the power supply, something to check. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back